Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rods

Allie

Thanks for the diagram...Looking at it I see though the truss rod is a 'double' action rod it is still a single rod is that correct? and if so where on the neck would one expect to see it 'crack' if it was adjusted wrong? I don't mean to beat this subject to death but having one of these rods makes me wonder if I should be thinking about maybe updating the rod or maybe even sell the guitar and buy one that has the single action rod that won't give me any surprises down the road in terms of ruining the guitar by cracking the neck.I not only bought this guitar for my pleasure but as a sort of family heirloom that would be passed down through the ages. Any thoughts would be a help, Thanks to all who have responded.

Looking back through the posts I see Hogeye has already answered my question on the location of the anticipated crack should it happen, so disregard my question in this comment. Thanks for the help and sorry about the confusion.

If your saddle and nut are in good shape, the only thing that can move is the neck. If the action gets out of whack, a slight adjustment always gets mine right back where it should be. Slight is the key word.

While changes in the action are a side effect of adjusting the truss rod, using the truss rod to adjust action is bad business. Action should be adjusted at the nut and saddle.

So if a nut and saddle are properly set up, what could possibly change from the nut and saddle that would require attention? The only reason your action would change is if the neck moved. That is what the truss rod is in there for. Nuts don't spontaneously get cut to high or low, and saddles don't add or subtract height.

Nut and frets definitely determine string action, the saddle allows for tweaking it to one's personal desire. Neck curvature is a completely different thing and has to be within a small range like nut grooves and fret dressing.

In other words, nut, frets and neck relief are things of right and wrong, saddle height should be to the player's taste. Bearing this in mind will help making any guitar the best anyhow possible performer. [thumbup]

Thanks for the diagram...Looking at it I see though the truss rod is a 'double' action rod it is still a single rod is that correct? and if so where on the neck would one expect to see it 'crack' if it was adjusted wrong? I don't mean to beat this subject to death but having one of these rods makes me wonder if I should be thinking about maybe updating the rod or maybe even sell the guitar and buy one that has the single action rod that won't give me any surprises down the road in terms of ruining the guitar by cracking the neck.I not only bought this guitar for my pleasure but as a sort of family heirloom that would be passed down through the ages. Any thoughts would be a help, Thanks to all who have responded.

Looking back through the posts I see Hogeye has already answered my question on the location of the anticipated crack should it happen, so disregard my question in this comment. Thanks for the help and sorry about the confusion.

You don't need to worry about your guitar. You understand how the truss rod works and nothing bad will happen unless you make it happen. Your guitar is stable and won't just crack. It will need some bad adjustment of your truss rod to make that happen. You now know what you need to adjust your neck. It should be done by a authorized Gibson repair facility or someone completely familiar with a way your truss rod works. This is the very reason Gibson doesn't ship guitars with truss rod wrenches.

If you like the sound and feel of your guitar you should keep it. It's just fine and will last forever or until someone does something to it that causes it to fail. Enjoy.

You don't need to worry about your guitar. You understand how the truss rod works and nothing bad will happen unless you make it happen. Your guitar is stable and won't just crack. It will need some bad adjustment of your truss rod to make that happen. You now know what you need to adjust your neck. It should be done by a authorized Gibson repair facility or someone completely familiar with a way your truss rod works. This is the very reason Gibson doesn't ship guitars with truss rod wrenches.

If you like the sound and feel of your guitar you should keep it. It's just fine and will last forever or until someone does something to it that causes it to fail. Enjoy.

I like the guitar and it sounds awesome and plays great so I am keeping it and will deal with anything that arises as it comes my way. Thanks for the input, it's great to have a forum like this to air our differences and opinions and there is a lot to be learned from the experiences of others to say the least.

just be glad they don't come with dual truss rods! that's a real problem waiting to happen if you don't know what you are doing! (pretty cool if you do know though). or the old style like a Rickenbacker where you set it and then tighten the nut. you don't use the nut to make an adjustment! VERY easy to screw those up!

just be glad they don't come with dual truss rods! that's a real problem waiting to happen if you don't know what you are doing! (pretty cool if you do know though). or the old style like a Rickenbacker where you set it and then tighten the nut. you don't use the nut to make an adjustment! VERY easy to screw those up!

I thought they were dual? you say they are not? but they are just 'dual' action? I'd like to see one of these out of the guitar to see how they work, I know there is a diagram on this thread that explains that but an picture of the actual rod would be cool. Anyone have a link to a pic?

This is the very reason Gibson doesn't ship guitars with truss rod wrenches.

Gibson electrics I've purchased new have come with a truss rod wrench (last one was in 2012, so not sure if they currently still supply it). Recent acoustic purchases > no truss rod wrench.

Archived