Gibson Brands Forums

Which Flying V is this? Any help greatly appreciated.

j.dub

Hi guys;

I am brand new to the Flying V and really don't know a lot about them. I found this one and loved it, so I bought it, but I'm really not sure which V it is. Sam Ash had their "Gibson guy," look at it and he said that V's weren't really his specialty, but he could tell it's definitely from the Gibson factory and is a 1990.

I noticed that it has Pick-up covers and most that I've seen are exposed PU's. I also noticed the headstock is a little longer and more pointy than the new ones. Someone has changed the tuners, but the originals were in the case. Also the case, which supposedly is original, is not like the case of any others that I looked at. It's huge, like an explorer case.

Maybe that's just how they were in 1990, I don't know. Whatever it is, I LOVE it!!

Anyway, the pics are attached. Any help is appreciated. I posted some newby questions here a couple months ago when I first started looking at V's and you guys were all real helpful, so I thought I would try here.

Thanks for your time; have a great day!

post-62565-014994000 1398873455_thumb.jpg

post-62565-087065200 1398873482_thumb.jpg

post-62565-047640600 1398873527_thumb.jpg

Looks like a genuine Gibson Flying V. Perhaps they changed the headstock for the double action trussrod these days - I don't know, just a guess.

I love covered pickups on Vs and well as on Explorers, but I think we all sometimes tend to like the things we don't have over those we got [biggrin]

Not sure what the model is but almost all V's have a headstock that is that pointy, starting in 1957. They have been reissued a number of times and seemed to have pickup covers until the 80's sometime. Gibson usually seems to call them all "Flying V" with some exceptions (faded, Schenker, Government Series, etc.)

11348183275_020151ba9a_b.jpg

In the late 70's to early 80's, they had a shorter, more rounded headstock.

8583865306_2046c0c72f_b.jpg

They now make them mostly with the pointy headstock and without pickup covers unless they are an artist model or vintage style. There's a good chance that someone added covers to yours or changed out the pickups entirely. If you could provide pics of the back of the pickups somebody might be able to tell you what they are.

Recent Flying V's

Not sure what the model is but almost all V's have a headstock that is that pointy, starting in 1957...

Nice history lesson, thank you for that! I think of the 70's Vs when I think of one, so I can see why I thought the headstock too long.

rct

Hey guys; Thanks so much for all the info, it was really helpful. One of the most intriguing things about the flying V is the subtle differences in models.

I did some further research and was able to find that mine is what's referred to as the, "Flying V Reissue." That model was for 1990 only and in 91 it was renamed the, "67 Reissue Flying V." Specs are virtually the same, but I think the case I have may have been available in 90 only. Here is some interesting info on all V's from vintageguitar.com : Vintage Guitar Guide

Any info anybody has on the case would be greatly appreciated. Next time I change the strings, I will pop the pickups and get pics to see if anybody can identify them.

Just as a side note... I am more in love with and excited about this guitar than any I have ever owned. I have not loved a guitar like this since my 1983 Dean Z Explorer. I have owned this guitar for less than a week, but it's already a beloved friend. I am a V-fan for life!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys; Thanks so much for all the info, it was really helpful. One of the most intriguing things about the flying V is the subtle differences in models.

I did some further research and was able to find that mine is what's referred to as the, "Flying V Reissue." That model was for 1990 only and in 91 it was renamed the, "67 Reissue Flying V." Specs are virtually the same, but I think the case I have may have been available in 90 only. Here is some interesting info on all V's from vintageguitar.com : Vintage Guitar Guide

Any info anybody has on the case would be greatly appreciated. Next time I change the strings, I will pop the pickups and get pics to see if anybody can identify them.

Just as a side note... I am more in love with and excited about this guitar than any I have ever owned. I have not loved a guitar like this since my 1983 Dean Z Explorer. I have owned this guitar for less than a week, but it's already a beloved friend. I am a V-fan for life!!

You scored big finding that one! If you ever want to part with it...let me know!

Archived