Gibson Brands Forums

Annoyance with Epiphone Les Paul Neck heels (not tenons)

EpiNova95

Actually, I just compared mine to this pic and the heel on both my goldtops is like the heel on the guitar on the right, the trimmer heel.

IMAGE_093.jpg

So far in this thread, there's 3 different "heel lengths" 1: abutting the body, 2: 1/2 inch (approximate), and 3: 3/4 to 1 inch (approximate) from the body. Even more interesting.msp_mellow.gif

So far in this thread, there's 3 different "heel lengths" 1: abutting the body, 2: 1/2 inch (approximate), and 3: 3/4 to 1 inch (approximate) from the body. Even more interesting.msp_mellow.gif

Adding to the mystery is it seems this is the first time that this is being put together. Other than the thread EpiNova found (and I snagged that comparison pic from) over at HC, there's nothing about this that I can drum up after doing some digging. and's it's only mentioned tangentially in that thread by a couple or so posters and not really picked up by the others.

:-)

Interesting thread.

I measured the heel from body to the angle where it begins to "slope in" to the neck on my 1978 Gibson 25 / 50. It is 1 cm.

On my Epi Tribute Plus and my Epi 1956 Gold Top this same measurement comes out at a longer 1.75cm.

Actually, in terms of playability I find no difference.

Interesting thread.

I measured the heel from body to the angle where it begins to "slope in" to the neck on my 1978 Gibson 25 / 50. It is 1 cm.

On my Epi Tribute Plus and my Epi 1956 Gold Top this same measurement comes out at a longer 1.75cm.

Actually, in terms of playability I find no difference.

Pin, what year is your '56? it's fantastic, right?

Ok, all the nicer Gibsons were out of reach and I didn't want to bother a sales person, so here's a Les Paul Studio they had in stock:

WP_20140509_001.jpg

My Tribute:

WP_20140509_002.jpg

WP_20140509_007.jpg

You can see the radius of the Gibson heel brings it in line sorta flush on the outside with the beginning of the body edge (the glare helps define this edge in the pic). On the Epiphone it isn't radiused as much, making it feel blockier.

That said, when I don't have the Gibson right next to me to compare, it doesn't bother me as much. I still think it's stupid, but with what I got for $500 vs. the $2600+ cost of the Gibson Traditional that I really want...I'm happy enough with the Epi for now. It really is an excellent guitar, with great resonance and sustain. It isn't too heavy (less so than the Gibson LP Deluxe I used to own), and the frets are nice and level. All it needs is some light lowering of the nut slots, and maybe some steel wool on the frets.

Pin, what year is your '56? it's fantastic, right?

It is indeed (now) fantastic but I have no idea about the year.

I bought it s/h last summer and at first I loved it and then my critical faculties returned and I started to notice its faults. The nut had been overcut (I think probably during a ham fisted set up) and the first three frets flatted out somewhat on the G,B and high E string. And then the pickups sounded harsh to me.

And so it went in (quite recently) for a makeover and new bone nut, complete rewire and bits and new Kinman noiseless (rather expensive)pickups. But now the guitar is fantastic.

Ok, all the nicer Gibsons were out of reach and I didn't want to bother a sales person, so here's a Les Paul Studio they had in stock:

WP_20140509_001.jpg

My Tribute:

WP_20140509_002.jpg

WP_20140509_007.jpg

You can see the radius of the Gibson heel brings it in line sorta flush on the outside with the beginning of the body edge (the glare helps define this edge in the pic). On the Epiphone it isn't radiused as much, making it feel blockier.

That said, when I don't have the Gibson right next to me to compare, it doesn't bother me as much. I still think it's stupid, but with what I got for $500 vs. the $2600+ cost of the Gibson Traditional that I really want...I'm happy enough with the Epi for now. It really is an excellent guitar, with great resonance and sustain. It isn't too heavy (less so than the Gibson LP Deluxe I used to own), and the frets are nice and level. All it needs is some light lowering of the nut slots, and maybe some steel wool on the frets.

Happy to say I called wrong.

Hope my apology is accepted

It is indeed (now) fantastic but I have no idea about the year.

I bought it s/h last summer and at first I loved it and then my critical faculties returned and I started to notice its faults. The nut had been overcut (I think probably during a ham fisted set up) and the first three frets flatted out somewhat on the G,B and high E string. And then the pickups sounded harsh to me.

And so it went in (quite recently) for a makeover and new bone nut, complete rewire and bits and new Kinman noiseless (rather expensive)pickups. But now the guitar is fantastic.

I hear ya, and agree. When I posted that, I wasn't thinking about the fact I bought my used '56 with all that replaced with aftermarket, tuner, bone nut, etc. lolz. doh

So I'm with ya. Although this one came with uber hot duncan p90-2 pickups, like ~15k hot on the bridge, ugh, I'm about to pull them and trade them out for gibson/lollar/wolfetone/antiquities in some mix. Looking for ~9k bridge, <8k neck with alnico IIs in both.

But also, I am really impressed with the fit and finish and such on this too, the binding is real pretty at the corners, the paint comes up against the binding evenly all around the body, the frets and fret board are real pretty too.

Thanks Wiggy, we're cool.

Here are a couple of pics. Mine has very minimal flame, which I actually prefer. I will not be adding a pickguard....love this blue

lp1.jpg

lp2.jpg

Your's looks real nice, enjoy!

Archived