Gibson Brands Forums

Customizing

troysgguy

OK,

So for blues I prefer a strat like sound (mostly neck pickup), but I really dislike how uncomfortable a strat is (to me). I have tried many times. Only to get rid of them. I bought a used epi SG and put a strat single coil in the bridge position and put hybrid strings on it. The sound is actually similar to a strat, but I want to take it further. Can I use a drill press and move the bridge and tailpiece down exactly 3/4 of an inch? This would be in attempt to increase bottom end. Intonation would change, but what do you think?

OK,

So for blues I prefer a strat like sound (mostly neck pickup), but I really dislike how uncomfortable a strat is (to me). I have tried many times. Only to get rid of them. I bought a used epi SG and put a strat single coil in the bridge position and put hybrid strings on it. The sound is actually similar to a strat, but I want to take it further. Can I use a drill press and move the bridge and tailpiece down exactly 3/4 of an inch? This would be in attempt to increase bottom end. Intonation would change, but what do you think?

You'd have to refret the thing to make that work otherwise the intonation will be so far out as to make it useless.

Look into the short scale Squiers. They'll give you that sound, at that scale. I got the short scale Thinline and changed it to standard (25.5) Fender scale, for a killer neck I had. I was able to do that by changing from the Gotoh-style saddles to barrel saddles (but just barely) . I had no problem selling it, when the time came, as there are many others that are looking for what you have described. What you put forth as a possibility, just isn't. Part of the tone attributed to Strats and Teles, is the scale length. Neck length and bridge position are pretty locked in. I got lucky in that the there was enough play in the saddle lengths, to accommodate the change.

OK,

Sorry, but this cannot be a serious question. :-k

OK,

Gibson just started producing a 25.5" scale LP. The whole neck has to be compensated but it's just simple math (half scale length equals 12th fret and work from there). I started a thread in the lounge:

http://forum.gibson....o-one-of-these/

Git your hands on a Gibson blueshawk. They are equipped with their "blues P-90" pickups and a 5 way varitone switch (as is also on the BBKing Lucille).

There is a setting with that switch running the neck pick up that will give you that tele spank.....The neck is great and the favorite of any guitar I own. I bet it will have the tone you are looking for (or possibly one you have not experienced yet.) Oh and the scale is 25.5"..........

I scored mine for $600.00 off ebay (but the seller was local to me in Denver) It is my primary guitar and I play mostly blues.

There are tons of Utube videos to check out the sound. They are not easy to find but you should give one a try.

Just a suggestion, but if you haven't tried one already, try a Squier Vintage Modified Strat. The neck shape is completely different to any other Fender or Fender style guitar I've ever played and it's the fastest and most comfortable I've found. It really doesn't feel like a 25.5" scale to me, although it is. The pickups aren't great but the guitar itself is so cheap that upgrading isn't going to make it an expensive guitar. It may not suit you but it's worth trying. (Note that the Classic Vibe isn't and doesn't feel the same.)

Archived