Gibson Brands Forums

increase neck relief Dot Studio

walterlane

I've been watching videos on adjusting the truss rod and just wanted to double-check before I proceed to adjust my Dot Studio. I've put the action back to a really low position and have some buzzing around the first three frets especially at the B string-third fret where its almost fretting out; otherwise its fine all down the neck. It seems the neck may be a little too straight and I may need to increase the relief. To increase the relief, I should loosen the truss rod by turning it slightly counter- clockwise, in other words turn it to the left, correct? Thanks.

You may also want to check the string clearance between strings and the first fret. On my guitars a business card (about .010" thick) just rubs a little if put in between. If you get less than about .008" you're gonna get string buzz there. You can always shim the nut up by putting shimstock under the nut if needed.

You may also want to check the string clearance between strings and the first fret. On my guitars a business card (about .010" thick) just rubs a little if put in between. If you get less than about .008" you're gonna get string buzz there. You can always shim the nut up by putting shimstock under the nut if needed.

Did the card test and it checked out fine. There is no buzzing at all with open strings indicating the nut is okay. And the buzzing I do get, I think, is due to me striking the strings too hard. As stated before I'm coming from acoustic play back to some electric play after a long time. The only real concern is that slight fretting out at the third fret, B-string. Even that is still usable and I can go ahead and use the guitar but you can tell its not ringing as good as the other notes all over the neck. From all I studied so far, the various videos describing the very symptoms the guitar is exhibiting, it seems a truss rod adjustment is indicated. I'm just getting up the courage.

Did the card test and it checked out fine. There is no buzzing at all with open strings indicating the nut is okay. And the buzzing I do get, I think, is due to me striking the strings too hard. As stated before I'm coming from acoustic play back to some electric play after a long time. The only real concern is that slight fretting out at the third fret, B-string. Even that is still usable and I can go ahead and use the guitar but you can tell its not ringing as good as the other notes all over the neck. From all I studied so far, the various videos describing the very symptoms the guitar is exhibiting, it seems a truss rod adjustment is indicated. I'm just getting up the courage.

Just remember a little goes a long way. 1/8th to 1/4 turn is usually enough in these cases.

Just remember a little goes a long way. 1/8th to 1/4 turn is usually enough in these cases.

This is correct, and there's sometimes a time delay in the neck moving, or it might not move at all, if you just turn the nut. I always give a little manual help towards the desired direction of movement. After turning the nut, and with the guitar in the playing position, press down on the fretboard near the neck-body join, (in towards your body), and press with the other hand on the back of the neck around frets 1-3. Just a gentle squeeze. (Obviously if you were aiming to reduce relief you'd reverse your hand positions.)

Since I think the Dot Studio features a mahogany neck and a rosewood fretboard, the neck should follow adjustment rather quickly. The lion's share will happen in less than a minute. Usually a slight "underadjustment" is recommendable. Precise retuning after adjustment is crucial. Then await three or four days for stabilizing and bowing about the tiny rest left uncorrected so to say, just refining tuning daily if required. In most cases there will be no need for afterwork.

This is correct, and there's sometimes a time delay in the neck moving, or it might not move at all, if you just turn the nut. I always give a little manual help towards the desired direction of movement. After turning the nut, and with the guitar in the playing position, press down on the fretboard near the neck-body join, (in towards your body), and press with the other hand on the back of the neck around frets 1-3. Just a gentle squeeze. (Obviously if you were aiming to reduce relief you'd reverse your hand positions.)

I usually give the old "SG Shake". I.e. play a chord and then wiggle the neck forward and back for vibrato effect. Really works well and seems less scary than pressing on the neck on a bench etc. Seems to "settle" the neck into it's new natural state pretty well.

Since I think the Dot Studio features a mahogany neck and a rosewood fretboard, the neck should follow adjustment rather quickly. The lion's share will happen in less than a minute. Usually a slight "underadjustment" is recommendable. Precise retuning after adjustment is crucial. Then await three or four days for stabilizing and bowing about the tiny rest left uncorrected so to say, just refining tuning daily if required. In most cases there will be no need for afterwork.

I did the adjustment and the buzz problem is gone and the B-string-third fret is not fretting out now. Before I adjusted the truss rod, I raised the action just a bit on the bottom end of the bridge, that supporting the first two strings, but that did not solve the problem. I did that check for relief holding down the 6th string at the first fret and last fret at the same time and the string lay right down on the frets. The neck was either plain flat or perhaps there was a bit of back-bow; I think this because the problems were occuring just at the first three frets. After the adjustment, the guitar responded quickly; I gave it about an hour to sit and now the fretting out is gone. Thanks all!

I did the adjustment and the buzz problem is gone and the B-string-third fret is not fretting out now. Before I adjusted the truss rod, I raised the action just a bit on the bottom end of the bridge, that supporting the first two strings, but that did not solve the problem. I did that check for relief holding down the 6th string at the first fret and last fret at the same time and the string lay right down on the frets. The neck was either plain flat or perhaps there was a bit of back-bow; I think this because the problems were occuring just at the first three frets. After the adjustment, the guitar responded quickly; I gave it about an hour to sit and now the fretting out is gone. Thanks all!

woohoo! congrats. it feels good when your guitar starts working right don't it?

Congrats, Walter, glad you got it made! [thumbup]

The most thrilling musical experience is playing a new guitar after the first setup you performed yourself, isn't it? For me at least it still is, after so many years... [biggrin]

Congrats, Walter, glad you got it made! [thumbup]

The most thrilling musical experience is playing a new guitar after the first setup you performed yourself, isn't it? For me at least it still is, after so many years... [biggrin]

It is a great feeling of acomplishment to play a guitar you made play correctly. Played it tonight in church. While tuning up before service, I got a compliment on the guitar's sound and appearance. It sounded and played great. With the light, light action I used bar chords tonight more than I have in a long time with simple ease.

Archived