Gibson Brands Forums

Brush with a near death experience

kidblast

so we're working on our acoustic set with the cover band I'm in (we've got a couple of shows coming up) So we take a quick break. Jack (Bass player who also plays 6 string) is checking out my 2006 Taylor GS which I have yet to use during rehearsals.. (it's probably my favorite acoustic ever so I don't take it out a lot)...

he hands it back to me,.. "ya man, that is REALLY nice" to which I reply, "if I had to have one guitar,, this would probably...." just then, the strap at the base of the guitar where the jack goes, had folded back, and it lets go, There goes my GS, heading to the floor, bouncing off a chair then to the (carpeted thankfully) floor (still it was a horrible nightmarish sound...)

Everyone is holding their breath and I can't even bring myself to look, but I have to see what I just did, thinking this one is really going to hurt...

Nothing! no visible cosmetic damage.. (even after a closer inspection when I got back home) amazed, and grateful, I just dodged a major bullet I did!

If the floor wasn't setup with a soft deep file carpet, (like a cement floor like you would usually have) I think I'd be mourning the loss of one of my best friends.

well just thought I'd share,, (I know most of you guys are thinking,, well if it was a Bird, or J45 or J200, yea, I'd be worried too. !! [unsure] !!)

I get you and I am glad your taylor suffered no damage .

back around January I walked into a GC in california with my cousin we were there to buy strings ...

but we couldn't help going to see the acoustic selection they had so he sat down and he played a buch

of the guitars and i tried to play some of them upside down (I'm a lefty) I picked up a small taylor

a GS mini the figure on the top was awesome it looked like 5A koa and I was astounded at how good it played !

I put it down and right before we left I told him "you should play this one" and I passed it over to him

he played a few notes and he said "WOW it sounds so good but you shouldn't have showed me it".

We left that GC with that Mahogany mini GS and with no strings ... while the sales guy was putting it away he also noted the top looked like deep figure koa ... but it was just a stellar piece of mahogany .

We got home and he could put the guitar down ... after a while he got up and put the guitar on a stand , the stand failed for some reason and the gs mini fell face first on the white tile floor !!! but nothing happened not one scratch thankfully !

JC

The stand failed for some reason and the gs mini fell face first on the white tile floor !!! but nothing happened not one scratch thankfully !

in these moments... man... Time Stands Still!!

mine isn't a mini, it's one of the bigger bodied taylors back when they first introduced the Grand Symphony series. But much of the story is the same,

we were up in Burlington Vermont, for a get away weekend in the fall of 06 with my son and his wife.

There was a huge music store sort of close to the college campus area. we had time to kill so we went in.

I eventually picked this one up and as soon as I played it, I told Mrs Blast "This one is comin home with me"

Back in 81-82, I had a drunk fall on my Hummingbird. "The bird" didn't survive. I've learned from my mistakes and in the years since I like to think of myself as being "on guard" and cautious, but who knows? Crap and accidents happen........I'm glad your GS survived..True, this is The Gibson Forum, and I for one certainly enjoy making little jokes about Taylors, but aside from the good-natured joking I suspect most people in here recognize that Taylors are high-quality instruments. It's all a matter of taste. Soooooooooooooooooooooo, from now on, be careful with your guitars, and if something does happen, life continues. [thumbup]

so we're working on our acoustic set with the cover band I'm in (we've got a couple of shows coming up) So we take a quick break. Jack (Bass player who also plays 6 string) is checking out my 2006 Taylor GS which I have yet to use during rehearsals.. (it's probably my favorite acoustic ever so I don't take it out a lot)...

he hands it back to me,.. "ya man, that is REALLY nice" to which I reply, "if I had to have one guitar,, this would probably...." just then, the strap at the base of the guitar where the jack goes, had folded back, and it lets go, There goes my GS, heading to the floor, bouncing off a chair then to the (carpeted thankfully) floor (still it was a horrible nightmarish sound...)

Everyone is holding their breath and I can't even bring myself to look, but I have to see what I just did, thinking this one is really going to hurt...

Nothing! no visible cosmetic damage.. (even after a closer inspection when I got back home) amazed, and grateful, I just dodged a major bullet I did!

If the floor wasn't setup with a soft deep file carpet, (like a cement floor like you would usually have) I think I'd be mourning the loss of one of my best friends.

well just thought I'd share,, (I know most of you guys are thinking,, well if it was a Bird, or J45 or J200, yea, I'd be worried too. !! [unsure] !!)

That's a good one for the "Good thing that happened today" thread for sure. Glad all turned out right, cuz it could have been "SOOOO WRONG!"

Aster

aside from the good-natured joking I suspect most people in here recognize that Taylors are high-quality instruments. It's all a matter of taste.

yep.. so true... btw.. I enjoy reading those to be honest with you MP.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo, from now on, be careful with your guitars, and if something does

happen, life continues.

do-do happens for sure, I'm usually very cautious.. this time, the strap demons decided to remind me they're still out there.

That's a good one for the "Good thing that happened today" thread for sure.

Aster,, now why didn't I think of that!!!!! <_<

Archived