Gibson Brands Forums

Maple Advanced Jumbo Arrived!

Red 333

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery today of a maple-bodied, short scale Advanced Jumbo. I need to share my anticipation with those who will understand...

Red 333

Gibson Advanced Jumbo

Gibson Fuller's Reissue J35

Gibson J160E

Too many others...

... Gibson Short Scale Maple Advanced Jumbo in-wating...

Red ,I'm so jazzed for you. I've been wanting something just like that after seeing in The Fabulous Flattop's of Gibson almost that same guitar,I think Ren & John W. worked on that one . I'm definately anticipating your review.Easy opening that box:d/

chris

i'm curious as to what tones you'd get from it. it seems to cross all lines spec-wise. let us know and of course...pics' date=' yes, we need pics...[/quote']

+100 on that (especially the pics part!!!) I would love to hear one next to my standard RW full scale AJ. I bet I would love the differences.

I'm curious to hear what you think of it after playing a while. Maybe you'll like it so much you'll want to sell me that J35.

You know, if the economy gets so bad that I have to start selling off guitars, that J35 may be the last to go. It's a terrific guitar.

i'm curious as to what tones you'd get from it. it seems to cross all lines spec-wise. let us know and of course...pics' date=' yes, we need pics...[/quote']

Right. Short scale like a J45. Maple like an SJ style jumbo.

I can't figure out if J45s today have the same bracing as the AJs. I THINK they do. Gibson seems to be using AJ bracing in a lot of guitars, like the Hummingbird Artist, for instance, and my J35. So maybe the short scale maple AJ is a modern kin to the famous maple J45s (which they made occasionally in the war years), except more highly ornamented. Reading how good some of those old maple J45s sounded lead me to give the maple AJ a whirl.

Yes, I'm wondering what the maple bodied AJ will sound compared to the J35, which is a short scale, mahogany slope shoulder dread with AJ bracing. Anticipation...

Red 333

Red ' date='I'm so jazzed for you. I've been wanting something just like that after seeing in The Fabulous Flattop's of Gibson almost that same guitar,I think Ren & John W. worked on that one . I'm definately anticipating your review.Easy opening that box:d/

chris[/quote']

I have that book, but I don't recall seeing anyting about the maple AJ in it. I'll check that out as soon as I'm done checking out the new AJ if she arrives! THANKS!

Red 333

Red ' date='I'm so jazzed for you. I've been wanting something just like that after seeing in The Fabulous Flattop's of Gibson almost that same guitar,I think Ren & John W. worked on that one . I'm definately anticipating your review.Easy opening that box:d/

chris[/quote']

I looked in the book, and THAT is one seriously beautiful piece of work. (The pic in the book is of a natural topped AJ with highy flamed back and sides, and ornate inlays). Sorry to disappoint, but Mine is NOT like that guitar!

Mine looks like a standard AJ for the most part. The center of the burst is yellower than my AJ or J35 (which have browner centers). Very tightly grained top. My rosewood AJ's top has wider grain spacing, as does the red spruce top of my J35.

The sides are also burst, with the maple's flame left exposed at the shoulders and haunches (is that what the widest parts of the lower bout would be?).

The back has stealth maple. It looks relatively plain at one angle, but the grain is oriented to reveal a lovely, animated flame when the guitar is moved about.

The neck is stained very dark (like my J160E's). Curiously, it has a V neck and French heel! The width at the nut is the same as on the rosewood AJ and J35.

There's a Custom Shop sticker on the back of the neck, and the guitar came in the maroon lined case wich is arched both top and bottom. This guitar was made in 2006 (as is my rosewood AJ), but earlier in the year.

I'm almost certain this particular guitar was in Guitar Sale's inventory, and they transferred it to Musician's Friend, where I bought it as a blem (Scratch 'N Dent is what they call them now). MF had two maple AJs listed as scratch n dents at two different prices, as they had two different list prices. I called Gibson Montana and they told me the guitars were the same spec, but had different list prices dues to being built as different runs in different years for different dealers. I selected the cheapest. (By the way, they have a 10% off scratch n dent sale right now, and they're offering as blems a number of intersting guitars that had been on the Guitar Sale site, including a red spruce OJ.)

OK, here's the good part: It sounds great! It definitely has that AJ sound, but the midrange is more prominent and more explosive. The rosewood AJ sounds darker and more wiry by comparison. The J35 warmer and most balanced. This maple AJ sounds very exuberent.

Being short scale, this maple AJ feels a little looser than the rosewood AJ, but not quite as silky as the J35 (which had a real proper set up).

That's my report for now. Thanks for your patience if you made it this far.

Red 333

Archived