Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone acoustic - what strings?

Lefty Adams

Hi - just picked up an Epiphone 'inspired by 1964' Texan acoustic lefty and wondering what gauge/make of strings they come with?

I am guessing Gibson but not sure about the gauge, if any one can help - thanks

These Epiphones usually come with light gauge strings (.12 --.53) My preference is... Elixir Nano nanoweb 80/20 light strings (12. -- .53) on all my acoustics...they cost more...they last MANY times LONGER and are a very popular sting which sounds great and lasts long. They come in 80/20 as well as Phosphor Bronze. The string brand is of course always your choice! Gibson likely used Gibson Masterbilt brand strings originally from the factory ...which sound great for about a week....Elixirs will sound great for 6 months and in the end, will save you LOTS of money!!! Good luck!

Kinda mixed emotions here...

First, I tend to wear much lighter strings than most folk on an acoustic. Much lighter.

But regardless of gauge, Elixirs are among my favorites and I s'pose about half my guitars are wearing 'em.

If I had that guitar, however, I'd consider at least a "try" of DR Zebra strings that are designed for AE, acoustic and electric.

Your gauge would be your decision.

I've a super-gentle fingerpicker and wear 9-42 on my fingerpicking flattops, 10-46 or whatever on my flatpicking flattops - but I'm also very gentle compared to most on the flatpicking. I think that's largely because I've had only AEs since Ovation came out with the first piezo-type pups in the early '70s and I really eased up on the flatpicking, especially.

So... I always say that strings and setup are up to the individual and should match his/her playing style. What I do on my flattops probably is dead wrong for most pickers with acoustic-only flattops. Frankly I think you can set up an AE a lot lower and pick a lot lighter with lighter-gauge strings that are a lot easier to work fretting hand technique with. OTOH, any halfway hard strummer will buzz and break my strings and will be very unhappy.

In fact, some hard strummers don't care for Elixirs because they claim the Goretex-type coating sluffs off the strings. Obviously not a problem for me or Guitarlight or tens of thousands of other pickers - regardless that we may have quite different choices of gauge and almost certainly playing styles.

m

I got a brand new right-handed one in February. First time they had become available in the Uk for a while. Elixir nanoweb 80/20 12 guage sound great on it.

If you can - swap out the plastic saddle and pins for bone. There is a big noticable difference on this guitar. The sustain is far better and it really blew me away how much it improved the sound.

There are a few Uk-based sellers on ebay. Enjoy!

I`ve had my IB Texan since the model came out in 09, have tried all types of strings, but always end up coming back to D`addario EJ-16 PB`s. they just seem to work best for me.

I`m also pretty sure this model comes with a bone nut & saddle as standard. maybe the newer ones don`t.

Steve.

These Epiphones usually come with light gauge strings (.12 --.53) My preference is... Elixir Nano nanoweb 80/20 light strings (12. -- .53) on all my acoustics...they cost more...they last MANY times LONGER and are a very popular sting which sounds great and lasts long. They come in 80/20 as well as Phosphor Bronze. The string brand is of course always your choice! Gibson likely used Gibson Masterbilt brand strings originally from the factory ...which sound great for about a week....Elixirs will sound great for 6 months and in the end, will save you LOTS of money!!! Good luck!

Totally agree with Guitar Light. I use them now, they sound fantastic, and last a long time. If you are so inclined, Martin strings have a good reputation as well. Back in the day I only used mediums, now I use light gauge.

Archived