Gibson Brands Forums

pickups

jamesdolecek

I hope this is the right place....I used to have a epiphone les paul standard and I love its color the honey burst, but I cant find it in other models, but I did find a higher end epi that has usa gibson 57's in it....is there a big difference between the 57's and the probuckers?

The '57's are a little hotter than the Burstbucker Pro's. My LP has '57 and '57+ pickups. I love 'em.

The Probuckers are an Epiphone pickup, I suppose possibly based upon the Gibson Burstbucker Pro, but I'm not certain.

But it is not a Gibson Burstbucker Pro.

This chart is helpful for Gibson pickups, but I just don't know about where/how the Epiphone pickups stack-up...

782216GibsonChart.jpg

57 Classics are my preferred Gibson pickups.

Besides my Signature T I also have an Epiphone LP Tribute 1960 with Gibson 57 Classics, that beats every Studio LP easily, after I changed to Tonepros bridge and tailpiece.

Install both, 57s and Tonepros, on your Epi and you will be blown away by the tonal improvement!

PS: But string choice is important too, especially on Epis ... I highly recommend trying Gibson Brite Wires in .10, especially with the 57s.

I have a super 57 in one of my les pauls, and to me it sounds flubby in the low end. I cant find any specs on it anywhere online, I emailed Gibson to find out more info about this pickup but have yet to receive a response.

I usually like a tighter low end, and the super 57 model at least left me unimpressed. I can't speak for the 57 classic plus. but my Neck in two of my pauls has a 57 and they sound great for that position.

I am swapping out the super 57 next week for a BB#3 which is what I have in my other guitars and it does the trick in them.

I have a super 57 in one of my les pauls, and to me it sounds flubby in the low end. I cant find any specs on it anywhere online, I emailed Gibson to find out more info about this pickup but have yet to receive a response.

I usually like a tighter low end, and the super 57 model at least left me unimpressed. I can't speak for the 57 classic plus. but my Neck in two of my pauls has a 57 and they sound great for that position.

I am swapping out the super 57 next week for a BB#3 which is what I have in my other guitars and it does the trick in them.

That Super 57 doesn't seem to be listed on any of the spec sheets in the above post. It does seem to me that I saw mention of them on a Gibson guitar spec sheet once. But, I still can't figure out what they are.

That Super 57 doesn't seem to be listed on any of the spec sheets in the above post. It does seem to me that I saw mention of them on a Gibson guitar spec sheet once. But, I still can't figure out what they are.

Oddly enough i just heard back from Gibson today and here is what they had to say in regard to the Super 57

"The Super '57 pickup is a 4 conductor version of the '57 Classic Plus pickup It also features enamel wire, Alnico II magnets, and slightly overwound,balanced coils and are fully wax potted. It is the highest output pick-up in the ’57 Classic series."

Oddly enough i just heard back from Gibson today and here is what they had to say in regard to the Super 57

"The Super '57 pickup is a 4 conductor version of the '57 Classic Plus pickup It also features enamel wire, Alnico II magnets, and slightly overwound,balanced coils and are fully wax potted. It is the highest output pick-up in the ’57 Classic series."

That is my only complaint with the 57's, a little flubby in the low end, but only on my Les Paul. I tend to favor under-wound anyway. In SG's, the regular 57's sound great.

BTW, I did see that some of the 57's had enamel coated wire but I only saw that in the descriptions for the ones in the SG Original (I think) and the Derek Trucks model.

I saw a little more on that Gibson '59 pickup...

It's a '59 Tribute and I think I saw it comes in the 2014 Traditional... (I think)

I still haven't seen the specs on it yet... I'm rather curious...

I think I did see some talk on it in here somewhere previously.

I saw a little more on that Gibson '59 pickup...

It's a '59 Tribute and I think I saw it comes in the 2014 Traditional... (I think)

I still haven't seen the specs on it yet... I'm rather curious...

I think I did see some talk on it in here somewhere previously.

You are right, they only come in the 2014 Les Paul Traditional. I have two sets of them. One set came in my 2014 Traditional and the other set I bought off the Internet and put in my 2013 Les Paul traditional. The guy who sold them to me just felt they were way too bright for him. The 59's that came in the 2014 reads 7.5. The set I bought off the Internet reads 7.7. I believe that the 57 classics that came in the 2013 model read 7.75 at the neck and close to 8.0 at the bridge.

The 59's are definitely brighter and have more chime than the 57's. They have a little less roar than the 57's as well. But, they still have plenty of sustain. I prefer them because it felt like my 2013 Traditional had just too much bottom to it. But, I was a Fender guy for years. I also play a lot of SG's these days. In a Les Paul, it's feels like the 59's clean up a little easier than the 57's did.

Archived