Gibson Brands Forums

strings

tugela

I don't know your degree of experience, but in my opinion, much of your answer will be found in how you play the instrument.

I use extremely light strings on my "fingerpicking" flattops. I use slightly heavier strings on my "flatpicking" flattops.

Why?

All are AE guitars. I play with very gentle technique whether fingerstyle or with a flatpick.

On the other hand, a lot of folks figure that 12s are "too light" for how they're doing their strumming or whatever. Some folks like 12s or so for slide guitar work.

Mother Maybelle Carter played with "Mapes Extra heavy" strings that I couldn't fret at the nut position chords at all. But she both played a lot with a capo and her "picking style" was with a thumb and fingerpicks in about the same "brushing" style as she played the autoharp.

Bottom line to me is that there is no right answer. Guitar manufacturers tend to put on a compromise gauge strings on new guitars. But I contend that's mostly to keep things straight between the factory and the purchaser. First thing I do when I buy a guitar is put on a set of strings I tend to prefer. But then, my preference isn't necessarily going to fit your playing style.

So I'd suggest figuring how you play and that will tend to determine gauge. Some 10-46 should decently combine overall playability for "parlor" type playing. If you're one to pound on the strings, you may wish 11s or heavier - maybe a lot heavier. My 9-42 fingerpicking strings are used on AE instruments for amplitude and I play very gently, more like a classical picker. For most folks, my "fingerpicking" strings would buzz to the point of no music at all.

m

BBG...

Yup. 9s. DR Zebra AE strings. But believe me, when I say I'm a lot more gentle than most on the strings, that may be an understatement.

That's 'cuz, I think, I was using AE stuff since the first Ovation AEs in the early '70s and I got 2 of 'em. With AE, it's easier to "think electric" and let the amp handle volume while I handle dynamics with my hands.

I've also experimented with string-at-a-time Elixir acoustic strings to get the same 9-42 with coated strings since Elixir doesn't make 'em that light.

But note that I freely declare to any "new person" asking about strings that my choices are very different from most folks', and that most would be unhappy with them; it's a matter of technique style. Even the 10s on my "strumming" flattops are lighter than most prefer; again I'm very gentle on the strings.

I also use 9-42 on my electrics, even the archtops. They let me do left hand work on an AE or an electric I simply couldn't do with heavier strings.

The exception is the nickel 8-38 on my one "board" guitar - and it's worn those since I got it in the early mid-70s.

I've tried batches of other gauges, types, etc., heavier, lighter, flats (I'm still experimenting with flats on one archtop), various coatings... I still tend to most like those 9-42 DR Zebra on my "fingerpicking" guitars. Most folks would go nuts trying to strum them hard because it just won't work.

m

I don't know your degree of experience, but in my opinion, much of your answer will be found in how you play the instrument.

I use extremely light strings on my "fingerpicking" flattops. I use slightly heavier strings on my "flatpicking" flattops.

Why?

All are AE guitars. I play with very gentle technique whether fingerstyle or with a flatpick.

On the other hand, a lot of folks figure that 12s are "too light" for how they're doing their strumming or whatever. Some folks like 12s or so for slide guitar work.

Mother Maybelle Carter played with "Mapes Extra heavy" strings that I couldn't fret at the nut position chords at all. But she both played a lot with a capo and her "picking style" was with a thumb and fingerpicks in about the same "brushing" style as she played the autoharp.

Bottom line to me is that there is no right answer. Guitar manufacturers tend to put on a compromise gauge strings on new guitars. But I contend that's mostly to keep things straight between the factory and the purchaser. First thing I do when I buy a guitar is put on a set of strings I tend to prefer. But then, my preference isn't necessarily going to fit your playing style.

So I'd suggest figuring how you play and that will tend to determine gauge. Some 10-46 should decently combine overall playability for "parlor" type playing. If you're one to pound on the strings, you may wish 11s or heavier - maybe a lot heavier. My 9-42 fingerpicking strings are used on AE instruments for amplitude and I play very gently, more like a classical picker. For most folks, my "fingerpicking" strings would buzz to the point of no music at all.

m

Many Thanks

Archived