Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a Gibson or Alvarez?

ulyman

Can someone help identify this guitar? And perhaps share some history. Is this a collectable vintage guitar? I pick it up a flee market a few days ago. The headstock doesn't have a brand marked on it. According to the previous owner the label inside the guitar fell off. I could make out some print inside that has a serial number and looks like it says made in Japan. Thank you.

Here are more photos since I can't seem to upload more. Hope this helps.

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

post-48478-000210400 1403595796_thumb.jpg

post-48478-023745800 1403595821_thumb.jpg

post-48478-088112000 1403595839_thumb.jpg

Looks like it could be a Conqueror brand Dove knockoff. Someone posted something very similar on the AGF a few days ago.

If it's not a Conqueror it's definitely an imitation by one of the many other Japanese companies from the '70s or so. In any case I don't believe it has any collector's value, just value based on its merits as a guitar. A couple hundred bucks maybe?

The pickguard looks identical to those on the Ibanez Concord. Hard to say anything definitive from the photos plus trying to pick one out of an army of offshore-made clones is not easy. I want to say those the Ibanez versions had laminate tops and bodies.

I want to say those the Ibanez versions had laminate tops and bodies.

I would agree that most Ibanez guitars from the '70s had laminate tops, but I do recall owning a wonderful solid topped Ibanez dread from the late '70s. This was just after the copy period, and the guitar had a George Benson type headstock & inlay. The neck was slightly V shaped. I really liked that guitar at the time & can't recall when or why it got traded off.

I would agree that most Ibanez guitars from the '70s had laminate tops, but I do recall owning a wonderful solid topped Ibanez dread from the late '70s. This was just after the copy period, and the guitar had a George Benson type headstock & inlay. The neck was slightly V shaped. I really liked that guitar at the time & can't recall when or why it got traded off.

In my opinion, Ibanez out-Gibsoned Gibson in the 1970s. I would take one over pretty much any Gibson made during that decade except perhaps a Gospel or a Mark series guitar.

After a closer look, the top appears to be one solid piece. Not bookmatch. (if I'm saying that correctly). I am not an expert by any means but I could tell certain things :). Not sure if it's spuce top or not. The sides and back are probably laminate but I'm not sure about that either. From looking inside the wood is a brownish darker color. Unlike my Fender which is white cheap plywood. The outside finish is more burgandy. Not brown like in the pictures. I have a several acoustic guitars, yamaha, fender, hohner, ibanez, carlos, sunlite, jasmine, rogue and this one sounds somewhat different. It is much louder that the others. Projects sound longer. I also notice it has more bass response and it seems to have a better tone than the rest. I posted more pictures in my orignal post. Feel free to take a look. Thanks.

After a closer look, the top appears to be one solid piece. Not bookmatch.

A little terminology correction here. The outer top of your guitar is indeed bookmatched. Two halves from the same piece of spruce are laid out like an open book to create the top. This is very clear from the grain pattern and is standard for almost every acoustic guitar. The question then becomes whether or not the top wood is solid or laminated. To determine this, you would check the grain lines in the soundhole to see if they extend clear through the wood. I'm guessing you did that, and determined that it's "one solid piece."

Folks, thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

After doing a little research. I emailed Tom Kruszka, an employee at Alvarez (St. Luis Music) and he has confirmed this is an early 70's Dove 5024. Definetly not a Gibson but an Alvarez dove lawsuit copy.

Here are some specs I found on it. Not sure if its accurate or not.

Mahogany back and sides (stained cherry) with a spruce top. Mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard with twinparallelogram inlays. Weightis 4 lbs. 12 oz. Nut width is 1 3/4'', Scale is 25 1/8''.

Archived