Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Es 345 Crack around Tune-o-matic bridge

lotion

Hey guys.

Its Umitcan from Turkey .

I finally bought 2003 Gibson custom es 345 .

While shipping i think it had some pressure on the bridge . And i found a little crack around bridge. I couldn't send it back. cause i bought it second hand.

I wish it is just a finish crack.

There is a centre block under de bridge . so it looks safe.

But i need your thoughts.

There is some photos . The crack is not so deep. but its not that easy to understand is it cool or not.

I installed a Bigsby from 1960's . And bigsby use more pressure on bridge. And rocking the bridge . Its all normal. But I'm worrying about the crack.

I wish i can take my guitar to a good luthier. but there isn't any good one in Ankara.

Guitar plays well. there isn't any tuning issues. There isn't any intonation issues .

Its looking just cosmetic . Im okay with cosmetic issue. but i ve to be sure that one is just cosmetic.

if there is some risk i would love to find a solution for that.

******crack is under the tune o matic bridge. and the crack around 0.5mm deep. totally 0.5 length.******** you can easily see it on photos.

So i need you guys.

thaks a lot.

Kind Regards

U

post-66144-015906600 1403868673_thumb.jpg

post-66144-081761300 1403868675_thumb.jpg

post-66144-028450100 1403868677_thumb.jpg

post-66144-065173900 1403869608_thumb.jpg

You'll be fine with that: it's a ply top supported by solid wood underneath, and the chances are it's only the top layer of the ply that has cracked. Even in the worst case scenario if it did spread it can't get past the post in one direction and only has a few mm it could spread in the other before it hits the pickup rout. A good luthier could probably improve it considerably from a cosmetic point of view, but structurally it should be fine even if left unattended.

Those Towner bars leave a much shallower break angle than a B7, and pressure from the string angle on the bridge shouldn't be an issue either.

So, relax and enjoy your new guitar!

I agree with Jayyj - it should be ok. There's a big block of wood right underneath as you say. However it may get a bit longer over time, as cracks often do; the action of the Bigsby might possibly have some effect but I doubt it. I agree it would be better without it but trying to fix it at the moment probably wouldn't improve anything and a bad repair might make it look worse. Nice guitar.

It's hard to tell for sure, but your pics seem to indicate you down tension bar is set too low allowing some of the string to touch the back edge of the bridge adding additional pressure at an angle. This might be the cause of the crack if the strings are touching the bridge although Jayyj disagrees. I've seen stop bars adjusted low enough to cause the same scenario creating enough force to bend the bridge posts so that the bridge angles toward the neck.

no, strings doesn't touch the bridge . photo was before bigsby. from when i just got it.

the first photo is after bigsby and down tension bar. now it doesn't press too much.

do you still think it makes too much pressure ?

Sorry I missed that. Now I see in the pic with the crack the guitar has the stop on it.

And in the pic with Bigsby the angle over the bridge looks fine - strings not touching, so I would think that set up is fine - not too much pressure.

Think this confirms what Jayyj wrote - it's a crack in the top layer of the ply and there are 5 or 7 layers (I think). Of course it's not desirable but as it is it won't affect anything. Could be filled but a job to be done with great care and patience.

A Little bit of cabinet maker's repair wax of the appropriate colour will do the trick, like those:

http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Liberon_Wax_Filler_Sticks.html?gclid=CNjOlo7hqL8CFRHHtAodO2gAng

You can cut a sliver of the wax, and warm it between your fingers for a while, then work it into the crack. any excess wax that gets onto the guitar's lacquer need's to be rubbed off gently with a soft cloth. that should sort it out.

Ian

A Little bit of cabinet maker's repair wax of the appropriate colour will do the trick, like those:

http://www.restexpre...CFRHHtAodO2gAng

You can cut a sliver of the wax, and warm it between your fingers for a while, then work it into the crack. any excess wax that gets onto the guitar's lacquer need's to be rubbed off gently with a soft cloth. that should sort it out.

Ian

its perfect solution but I'm living in turkey :( they doesn't ship to turkey. anybody wanna help :)

Archived