Gibson Brands Forums

How to properly set up my Les Paul

russmiller

Hi,

I bought a Les Paul Standard 3 months ago...love it...but am not sure its really set up correctly. I'd like to set it up my self and have a little experience building and fixing guitars. Can anyone tell me where can I find the definitive answer on how to make sure my Les Paul is set up properly?

Thanks

Russ

Dan Erlewine has at least two books worth buying. The "Guitar Player's Repair Guide" is, no offense, over your head since it's a tome on detailed repair and restoration work of all kinds. I'd recommend first that you get his "How to make your electric guitar play great." Then after you've read it take the guitar to a professional tech and you'll be better equipped to understand what he or she is doing, and they'll probably be complimented that you can appreciate what they're doing. There's a big difference between knowing what to do and having the skill, experience, and touch to do it right. Experiment on the yard sale special, but treat yourself to a pro setup on a real guitar like this one.

I think it comes down to if you are mechanically inclined and understand what it is you are really doing, then you can take on the job of doing a set up. I have worked with my hands for many years with many different materials. I have built tooling, dies and designed tooling and dies. I have done residential electric, framing, truss building, concrete and now I am a baker. I also have always done my own guitar set ups because, I am confident in my abilities and do not trust a stranger with my guitars. If you have the ability to work with your hands and experience involved in doing so it is not that big a deal. If you don't have the first clue do not delude yourself into thinking you can handle it with an expensive instrument. One mis-step and it becomes junk. In that instance it is better to take it to someone that can do the job. Some are doers and some are thinkers and then some are stinkers!.

I hope the "Haynes" guitar manual is better than the auto manuals. They used to be a great guide to auto repair. Now they SUCK! Maybe that's why they are diversifying. The Isuzu Truck manual will actually send you in wrong directions. Threw mine away.

+1 for Erlewines Guitar Player Repair Guide

check out www.frettech.com run by Rob DiStefano

click on the info button and scroll down aways to the set up tutorial

he's a killer tech as well (btw i've no affiliation, i'm jes' a happy camper !)

www.projectguitar.com is your friend too, plenty of tutorials available there too...

First off, you want to find a good luthier, start with your local music stores, ask question to people who may have gone there and ask what they think of the service. You want to make sure that the guitar isn't sitting for days before they look at the guitar, don't just drop it off, make sure you talk to the luthier in person with the guitar before you agree to leave you prize possesion there. Word of mouth is a great way to start as well. You should also have your guitar set up before each season.

Make a list either in your head or on paper of:

1. What type of music you like to play

2. Think about your style, do you bend a lot or do a lot of hammering, are type of music you play etc. This will help the luthier decide on the string height as well as what strings you should be using

3. what key you want the guitar to be in i.e. E or Eb or an open tunig for slide.

Those are just somethings you want to decide befor the luthier starts. It is very hard to find that "right person", when you do find one stick with him or her.

If you do take it to a guitar tech' date=' see if he'll let you watch what he does. That's what I did a while back.

Regardless, buy Dan Elerwne's repair guide or some other repair guide. A Haynes Les Paul manual just came out recently.[/quote']

+1

Flight959

I hope the "Haynes" guitar manual is better than the auto manuals. They used to be a great guide to auto repair. Now they SUCK! Maybe that's why they are diversifying. The Isuzu Truck manual will actually send you in wrong directions. Threw mine away.

The Haynes manual is awsome!

The car ones turned crap....

Flight959

Archived