Gibson Brands Forums

Should I return this ES-339?

Chrisk-K

I received an Epi ES-339 yesterday. Everything about it was great except that fretted notes at the 12th fret were sharp on all the strings. I had to move the 6 saddles almost all the way back. The low E string saddle was moved back to max and I had to flip the G string saddle to get more travel. Now, the guitar's well-intonated with a Gibson 10-46 set that it came with. I'm not sure if it can be properly intonated with other types of strings.

So does it sound like the bridge was incorrectly installed too close to the fretboard? This is my 1st guitar with a tune-o-matic bridge and I don't know if this kind of issue is common.

Hi Chrisk, welcome. With everything these days in the laying out and cutting of guitar bodies being computer controlled, I'd say it would be very unlikely for the bridge to be in the wrong place. To check it, measure from the front (fretboard) edge of the nut on the top thinnest E string to the saddle. It should be a little over 24 3/4", around 24 7/8". If it is a lot more, you obviously have a problem.

Most likely reason though is that if strings age they can throw up all sort of intonation difficulties. If measurement seems OK, I'd try a new set of strings.

I normally take all of my new guitars to my luthier within the warranty period. Mostly to look for the "ruh row" things I'd never spot, but also to do a real set up. Might give that some thought as well.

I received an Epi ES-339 yesterday. Everything about it was great except that fretted notes at the 12th fret were sharp on all the strings. I had to move the 6 saddles almost all the way back. The low E string saddle was moved back to max and I had to flip the G string saddle to get more travel. Now, the guitar's well-intonated with a Gibson 10-46 set that it came with. I'm not sure if it can be properly intonated with other types of strings.

So does it sound like the bridge was incorrectly installed too close to the fretboard? This is my 1st guitar with a tune-o-matic bridge and I don't know if this kind of issue is common.

If in doubt, do without.

IMHO I would send it back. But before you make that decision, take it to a Luthier. If he honestly feels there's no way to get it sorted out without forking out a lot of money then return it. Do you know of a good Luthier, or at least know someone who can recommend one? Not much point in fiddling with it yourself guessing about what's wrong. Like I said, just my humble opinion.

Cheers

Wayne

I first measured the scale length as Vomer suggested. 24.75 inches. Perfect. I then measured action at the 17th fret. Low E: almost 3mm and high E 2.25mm. I lowered the low E string action to 2.50mm and the high E to 2.00mm. Then, I replaced the old factory strings with a set of Ernie Ball 10-46. Now the saddles are where they are supposed to be!

I bought this guitar as a present for my 1st son who'll be attending a college in this fall. Because he said the 339's action felt fine, I didn't bother to measure it. He's even happier about how the 339 plays (and sounds)!

Archived