Gibson Brands Forums

Standard 2012 Heritage Cherry Sunburst vs Standard 2013 Translucent amber

JBozz93

Hello everyone, tomorrow I'll be going home with one of these guitars (Gibson Les Paul Standard 2012 Heritage Cherry Sunburst or a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2013 Translucent amber)... I'm really happy and excited about it, but still, this is one of the hardest decisions of my life [smile] .

So, I'd like to know which one would you pick and why??

Guest Farnsbarns

2nd time I've posted along these lines today... Read up on laminated fret boards, if it bothers you, go for the 2013. If it doesn't bother you, be aware that it does bother some people (not myself, really) and, therefore, possibly the residual value.

2nd time I've posted along these lines today... Read up on laminated fret boards, if it bothers you, go for the 2013. If it doesn't bother you, be aware that it does bother some people (not myself, really) and, therefore, possibly the residual value.

Good to know that! so... the 2013 shouldn't have the laminated fretboards? right??

Thanks man!

Guest Farnsbarns

Good to know that! so... the 2013 shouldn't have the laminated fretboards? right??

Thanks man!

That's it.

If they both sound and play well, you might lean toward the 2013, as far as residual value. The '12's were spec'd with the laminated fretboards The '13's went back to regular rosewood fretboards and the '14's have don't have nibs on the frets. So, the '13's are spec'd more consistent with the traditional way they have been made for years, and are more likely to retain value in an era when Gibson has been hop-scotching their specs from year to year.

I bought a new '12 and it's great - don't get me wrong - but I like the one piece fretboards. Two of the fretboard inlays on mine popped up and I had to glue them back down. I don't know if the laminated fretboard had anything to do with it, but, like with cars, when they're trying new construction methods, you're wise to avoid the first year of production of a model that's just been revamped.

If they both sound and play well, you might lean toward the 2013, as far as residual value. The '12's were spec'd with the laminated fretboards The '13's went back to regular rosewood fretboards and the '14's have don't have nibs on the frets. So, the '13's are spec'd more consistent with the traditional way they have been made for years, and are more likely to retain value in an era when Gibson has been hop-scotching their specs from year to year.

I bought a new '12 and it's great - don't get me wrong - but I like the one piece fretboards. Two of the fretboard inlays on mine popped up and I had to glue them back down. I don't know if the laminated fretboard had anything to do with it, but, like with cars, when they're trying new construction methods, you're wise to avoid the first year of production of a model that's just been revamped.

I just played them again, and I gotta be honest, the 2012 sound was better... so I'm going with that one... anyhow, Thanks man and thank you all [smile] !!

Guest Farnsbarns

I just played them again, and I gotta be honest, the 2012 sound was better... so I'm going with that one... anyhow, Thanks man and thank you all [smile] !!

Can't argue with that... Who am I kidding, of course I can.... [lol]

Not argue so much as ask, did it sound better or dit it sound like "holy rusty metal Batman, if I don't buy this guitar right now someone else will and I'll be seperated from my soulmate for eternity"? I ask because it doesn't quite sound lime you're "in love" with either and that might be a good reason to keep up the hunt.

Can't argue with that... Who am I kidding, of course I can.... [lol]

Not argue so much as ask, did it sound better or dit it sound like "holy rusty metal Batman, if I don't buy this guitar right now someone else will and I'll be seperated from my soulmate for eternity"? I ask because it doesn't quite sound lime you're "in love" with either and that might be a good reason to keep up the hunt.

hahah, I actually want'em both, but yeah, I really love the 2012... and look, I played a lot of guitars 2014, 2012, 2013, even a 1986 (the price was higher)... and the one that I like the most is the 2012... call me crazy but that's how it is.

Another thing is that from where I'm from, it's really hard to find as much great guitars as there are in the US... so, yes "HOLY RUSTY METAL ....." . I'll have a freaking Gibson Les Paul, and that feels just amazing

In case the deal is still on the way, you could haggle for a discount due to the laminated fingerboard.

One Custom Shop LP of mine positively, and one USA model supposedly came with laminated fretboards. No problems so far up to now.

Since I was curious, I removed the locking nut of my Alex Lifeson LP Axcess, and it is laminated indeed. The lower layer is of just the binding heel height, so the thicker upper layer was not cut into pieces through sawing the fret slots. As for tone and sustain, they are all fine, and I couldn't tell anything being adverse. There has been no other reason for removing, so I left the nut alone on the USA model up to now, a nice LP Standard 2012 by the way.

In case the deal is still on the way, you could haggle for a discount due to the laminated fingerboard.

One Custom Shop LP of mine positively, and one USA model supposedly came with laminated fretboards. No problems so far up to now.

Since I was curious, I removed the locking nut of my Alex Lifeson LP Axcess, and it is laminated indeed. The lower layer is of just the binding heel height, so the thicker upper layer was not cut into pieces through sawing the fret slots. As for tone and sustain, they are all fine, and I couldn't tell anything being adverse. There has been no other reason for removing, so I left the nut alone on the USA model up to now, a nice LP Standard 2012 by the way.

Thanks man, it's good to hear that... sounds like you have some really nice guitars!

tomorrow i'll talk with the owner of shop... so, will see, hope to get a discount [thumbup]

Archived