Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Banner on CL

Dave F

Guitar kryptonite, it is. Thanks a lot, Dave ; ). Tempting, and most surely the seller knows those are some ugly cracks and "patches". My bet he would take considerably less than the a$k. I am normally not put off by major repairs elsewhere, but the top is so critical to the sound of the thing, and some of those patches could be large, and in some important areas. No pics of the neck block (and hopefully it has a visible stamp), let alone photos of the repairs under the top. That is actually a very nice starburst, original, very light wear, including the neck, headstock, soundhole, pickguard, orig bridge (dif saddle?), etc.

Owning one of these & calling it a starburst is kinda like owning a 1974 MGB and not knowing much about automotive electrical systems; either you educate yourself, or one gets schooled by the person who does the repairs (patches) on it.

I've had a banner and unfortunately can't play their big necks comfortably, but I'd sure take a look at that one. The finish appears at a distance to be original, it looks to be in pretty good shape other than the stated repairs. Those top cracks, if well repaired, don't scare me at all and will likely have little to no impact on tone.

It looks like the lower bout had an impact 'event' that put holes right thru it but not sure. Would need to check out bracing etc..but I have two old Gibsons that look worse than that.

If the neck set is good, original finish and the rest checks out OK it could be a good players guitar for pretty close to asking price IMO. Go find another original finish banner for $3K.

..and will likely have little to no impact on tone.

Easy now, Stu. Even the addition of a pickguard is a bit of a compromise in order to prevent the guitar top from becoming WillieNelsonized. Just lightly rest a few fingers on the top after a strum for a reminder. I agree there may be little impact on tone; as long as there are no huge cleats under the larger two of those top cracks.

...go find another original finish banner for $3K.

Ouch. Good point. The finish does seem to be in very nice condition.

Ok, it's settled, then. Zombywoof's going to get ol' Cracky. Looking forward to the pics when you get 'er home, 'Woof ; ).

Btw- 'just noticed: photo #5 in the CL ad shows graining before & after the bridge that would suggest a one piece top, as would've been done with mahogany. Recall that Kalamazoo Gals author John (JT) Thomas favored the hog top banners of the many he'd become acquainted with during his travels. I n t e r e s t i n g...

Might be a mahogany top. If so I would guess the guitar was made in 1944.

Still say assuming there is nothing else major going on, somebody is going to get themselves a heck of a guitar at a very nice price. If I lived within a half a days drive I would have already been over there to take a gander at it. Don't really need it as I own me a sweetheart of a Banner but I am curious.

would like to have seen it but it's gone...

That's good news. Saved me from myself.

But shows how throwing a screen capture over to Photobucket to link to can keep this from being a decoy thread for those who come late to the discussion.

Archived