Gibson Brands Forums

Which should I save up to buy next?

paitken76

Looking into which guitar would make a good addition to my collection of Gibbys and could use your thoughts & insight.

I've been considering either a Gibson Custom Shop 1958 LP Standard or departing from Gibson this once by purchasing a Collings 290 (which pays tribute to Gibson by creating a guitar modeled after the LP Special, not to mention that Collings is a great guitar too).

Deciding between these two is one thing but I'm also a little confused about this... While looking around I've found a Custom Shop 1958 LP Standard and I've also found a Custom Shop 1958 LP Standard Plain Top VOS. I thought all 1958 LP's were plain tops? And is it just me or shouldn't any reissue of the 1968 be VOS? Otherwise is it actually a reissue? What's the point? Difference? Could someone please explain the difference between these models?! I'd greatly appreciate it!

Oh, and another thing thats been getting me... Which of these is considered the reissue? An "R", R7, R8 etc. What have the differences been between the reissues? Any? Or is it just a limited run and opportunity to get one that Gibson releases every now and then? Ahhh so many questions! And now back to my first one? Which should I buy next... a 1958 Standard or a Collings 290?

Thank you kindly!

Buy a the Gibson 1958 reissue. There are several different reissue models - the "R6" (1956 Reissue) is goldtop with P-90s, the R7 (1957 reissue- get the point?) is goldtop with humbuckers, the R8 has the flame top, etc etc etc. The difference between the R8s you mentioned is subtle; both have the plain top, but the more expensive one (labelled "1958 Standard") comes in "faded" finishes (washed cherry and faded tobacco) whereas the slightly cheaper R8 (labelled "VOS plain top") comes in "standard" finishes (HCS, etc.) There's also the 50th anniversary R8s that retail for around $5700, so it all depends on how much money you want to spend. I'm really not sure how much better the anniversary guitars are than the regular models, to be honest. My advice would be to play as many R8s as you possibly can and decide which you like best.

Good luck and post lots of pics once you get her!

The difference between the R8s you mentioned is subtle; both have the plain top' date=' but the more expensive one (labelled "1958 Standard") comes in "faded" finishes (washed cherry and faded tobacco) whereas the slightly cheaper R8 (labelled "VOS plain top") comes in "standard" finishes (HCS, etc.)[/quote']

That's not entirely right. The cheaper ones are the faded, or VOS finishes. All the new ones are plain tops. I'm not too sure on the exact years, but around 5 - 10 years ago the '58s also had flame tops. Gibson just made them plain more recently, to differentiate between the '58s and '59s...and also to jack up the price on the '59s. By HSC you mean heritage cherry sunburst? That's not a colour you'd find on a reissue...washed cherry is the equivalent. The three "standard" or most common colours you'll find on a '58 are washed cherry, iced tea & faded tobacco. All the other colours are probably "limited runs."

Deciding between these two is one thing but I'm also a little confused about this... While looking around I've found a Custom Shop 1958 LP Standard and I've also found a Custom Shop 1958 LP Standard Plain Top VOS. I thought all 1958 LP's were plain tops? And is it just me or shouldn't any reissue of the 1968 be VOS? Otherwise is it actually a reissue? What's the point? Difference? Could someone please explain the difference between these models?! I'd greatly appreciate it!

Gibson.com just got a refresh. If you go on it, you'll find two different '58s.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1958LP-PT-VOS.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1958LP-Reissue-VOS.aspx

It's the same guitar, the only difference is the colours. A '58 is a '58. Whether or not is has "reissue" in the subject line, it's the sale guitar. Other than colour, you only have two choices: VOS or non-VOS (high gloss). VOS means the wood and hardware looks slightly aged. The high gloss looks like a brand spank'n new guitar. 99% of the ones you'll find nowadays are VOS. VOS also costs $300 less than the high gloss.

The second Gibson link I posted is for the three '58s that Gibson came out with last year. Again, same guitar, just different colours. Those three colours, bourbonburst, lemonburst & sunrise teaburst, were "limited edition" colours that Gibson made for a brief period last year as part of their "Popular Demand Series." As far as I know the sunrise teaburst has been discontinued and no longer available. I'd only assume the same goes for the other two colours...why Gibson just posted them on their site now is beyond me...

The '68 reissue is a LP Custom. It has a maple cap with '57 Classics...and yes, it is a reissue but the term "historical leissue" is intended for Les Pauls from the 1950s. The other reissue Customs, the '54 & '57, have mahogany tops and single coil or Burstbucker pickups.

Make sense?

I'd go with the Collings or a Strat. It seems like you already have plenty of LPs.

Yeah, but he doesn't have a reissue. IMHO, it's the only Les Paul to have. Trade in or sell a couple of the cheaper ones, pick up an R8, and then start shopping for something different. (Nice Strat is certainly a good idea. Don't be afraid to buy Japanese -- they are a great deal. I've got a Japanese 1972 reissue Strat.)

-Brad

(Nice Strat is certainly a good idea. Don't be afraid to buy Japanese -- they are a great deal. I've got a Japanese 1972 reissue Strat.)

I've had some fenders throught the years and have played several others. Aside the American Custom Shop models, the Japanese Fender blow the americans away. Really, both in sound and craftsmanship.

But that is just my opinion. Oh and lots of mexicans (guitars) suck...

What a wealth of information, thanks everyone for the suggestionsand clarification. OK so now I'm between a 1958 Les Paul Standard reissue or a good Strat (which means I won't have to save up or spend as much - which also makes the wife happy) LOL. I'm pretty familiar with Fenders but I don't know much about other makes or copies if Strats. Where would I pick up a great Japanese model? What are the brand names and what price range am I looking at? If they aren't too bad then maybe the wifey will let me pick up two this year! First the 58 and then the Jap Strat... I might have to take a break after that or commit myself before I end up with a collection like elantric in 3-5 years. Good God I wish I was that lucky.

Thank you kindly

Archived