Gibson Brands Forums

Black Cat Bones - Death Valley Blues

dem00n

I hadn't heard that for probably 30 years, dem00n. Thanks very much for the memories!

Is it just me or are there hints of of "Since I've Been Loving You" going on there?.....

I have always liked Kossoff's playing and this is no exception.

I, too, have always liked Kossoff's playing, Pin.

By the time 'Barbed Wire Sandwich' was recorded, however, he had already left and been replaced by Rod Price...

[wink]

P.

I, too, have always liked Kossoff's playing, Pin.

By the time 'Barbed Wire Sandwich' was recorded, however, he had already left and been replaced by Rod Price...

[wink]

P.

Ah well, Price got the style reasonably well all the same then.

I've always liked Kossoff pre-Free!

I love his work with Black Cat Bones!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWPwkH_o1FY

Pippy, So this is Rod Price on Chauffer?

Which ever of them it is;

He shoulda been the next Blues Breaker axe man!

He had the tone down pat!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBKAfbbsJK4

Sublime British Blues!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the rehash, but I was doing a little more research. The album credits also include a chap named Derek Brooks on guitar. Do we know if it was Rod Price playing the leads on Barbed Wire Sandwich or was it possibly Brooks carrying some of the solo load? I suspect it was Price on leads...

I'm curious... Now I need to do some more research. It is some of the very best British Blues out there! I know Rod Price from Foghat... I can't peg Derek Brooks though... I can find no other history about him or his brother Stuart that played bass in The Black Cat Bones.

I've just checked and, according to the wiki entry, it was Price on lead and Derek Brooks on rhythm.

I see no reason whatsoever to doubt this summary.

I used to have a copy of 'The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Rock' which was a bit of a bible/reference source for me.

I've had a quick look for it and it seems to have gone AWOL...

Dayum! That was a good book!

P.

I've just checked and, according to the wiki entry, it was Price on lead and Derek Brooks on rhythm.

I see no reason whatsoever to doubt this summary.

I used to have a copy of 'The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock' which was a bit of a bible/reference source for me.

I've had a quick look for it and it seems to have gone AWOL...

Dayum! That was a good book!

P.

You should pick up the Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz. Not that important but a treasure trove of info. I think i paid around $3 for it...

Archived