Gibson Brands Forums

NTD

surfpup

Just put a set of Tung-Sol 6V6s in my 70s Deluxe Reverb. If anyone is looking for a tube that breaks up well, I'd recommend these in a heart beat. I still get country clean down low, but the breakup at 7 or 8 is about what I was getting wide open with RCA or EH 6V6s. Definitely a nice blues/rock tube. [thumbup]

_57-3.jpg

Thanks for the info. In fact, more comparism or detail would be welcome.

Are you talking REAL RCA's or are there reissues? Do you know what type? (If we are talking nos).

I think a lot of folks besides me would be interested in hearing more about these, just for the reason that there aren't really a lot of options for 6v6's that are a true match for the DR.

I have to re-tube my Vox Concert 501 amp. I've been debating what tube brand to put in it. I've given up trying to come up with some vintage RCA tubes so I've been contemplating JJ's, which as I understand it are the old Tesla tubes or at least the old company under new ownership...

I've also heard alot about these Tung-Sol tubes and keep them in the back of my mind too.

Do you have any experience with JJ's and what do you think of them also...

I was thinking of the JJ's for the power tubes and possibly Tung-Sol for the preamp tubes for a better break-up. Is that not a good idea?

I'm so tube-ignorant it's not funny...

I still can't even tell if my Vox Concert 501 requires biasing or if it's auto-biased...

Do you have any experience with JJ's and what do you think of them also...

I was thinking of the JJ's for the power tubes and possibly Tung-Sol for the preamp tubes for a better break-up. Is that not a good idea?

I'm so tube-ignorant it's not funny...

Yes, I've used a lot of JJs - but I've never used their 6V6s. And mixing them is fine. Right now I have JJ EL84s in my 18 watt Marshall but Tung Sols in the preamp.

Jimi check out the Tube store website. They have reviews of every tube manufacturer. .. good read.

This [thumbup] Their reviews are very thorough and helpful, and I've bought a lot of tubes from them. I bought these because of their review (though I bought them from eBay this time).

Surf - Is your's a Silverface DR? I'm thinking about finding a SF one myself.

Yes. It's a 1977. It's been a great amp. I bought it from a friend in Nashville. As for mods... The RVT channel had been modded by Roy Blankenship. It was pretty hot. He basically bypassed the tone stack for extra gain. I had that reset to normal specs. I did clip the "bright cap" though. I also swapped the original Oxfart speaker for a Weber and added a beam blocker to help disperse the ice pick treble. It sounds pretty amazing now. I like to run it at about 8, so I use an attenuator to make that liveable. I've seen a number of SF DRs for around $1K - which is not much more than the 65 Reissue and they sound sooooo much better. If I were a rich man, I'd be buying every one I found.

Just put a set of Tung-Sol 6V6s in my 70s Deluxe Reverb. If anyone is looking for a tube that breaks up well, I'd recommend these in a heart beat. I still get country clean down low, but the breakup at 7 or 8 is about what I was getting wide open with RCA or EH 6V6s. Definitely a nice blues/rock tube. [thumbup]

_57-3.jpg

The shop techs in my region generally stock and recommend the Tungsols as a rugged long lasting tube replacement for Fender amps (it's hard to find anything but EH, JJ, Groovetube, or Tungsols, sometimes Sovtecs). Guess stores go with middle of the road stuff because it sells. I've had a pair of Genelex Gold Lions (new production) 6V6s in a cathode biased amp for a couple of years and compared to the Chinese 6V6s the tone is harmonically balanced with a tight bass response ... seen moderate to heavy use and they fizzled a bit a few months back, just switched them around so they're wearing evenly (and remember, yes it is IMPORTANT to match pairs of power tubes!) If you're not a tone snob, the differences in tone can be understated to a player's ear ... the cheapo Chinese 6V6's would do in a pinch.

Also using a pair of Groovetube goldplated 12AX7's in the preamp ... they're a bit better than the Chineseo's. I've read articles on the performance of tubes and did some research on nos stuff myself and the JJ's (Tesla) 6V6's are supposed to be a bit stronger than regular 6V6's, more like 6L6's ... they're powerful and rugged (no joking, the selling point was 'you could throw one against a wall and it wouldn't break!).

Archived