Gibson Brands Forums

What strings

Cicero146

Hi all,

I recently bought a LP STD plus 2013. I'm thinking of replacing the strings. What strings would you suggest? I play Rock/Hard Rock and sometimes metal, no jazz or blues yet. I play guitar for 2 years now, and still following lessons.

All tips are welcome :-)

Kind regards,

Cicero146

Hi Cicero146, I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky. String gauge 42,32,24,16,11,9. I find these give a more mellow tone, than the standard Gibson 10s that already come on the guitar (bright sounding & ringing). I do a lot of lead work, mainly blues with a dash of rock. Great for string bending and vibrato. I either play in standard tuning or a semitone under. Can also get away with Drop D tuning with these strings (adventrous old soul that I am).

I know some of the metal players use much lower tunings, so a heavier gauge would be recommended. As a lighter gauge is a lighter tension, so detuning these will cause the strings to rattle against the frets.

If you are thinking about changing string gauge, you will have to check the neck for any truss rod adjustment, intonation.

By the way congrats on your new guitar :)

Hey there Cicero, I have a Gibson '61 reissue SG and play metal blues and rock. I prefer using D'Addarios 9-46 gauge set, for the bends on the high strings while maintaining the thickness on the bottom end. They have a bright tone with my Sg and stay in tune for the most part. Another plus is they are very durable and last quite a long time.

There are so many variables that my only recommendation is to try different strings and, for another couple of years, don't even think that you're finding "the" string gauge, brand or type.

I've been at it for 50+ years and I'm still looking at different strings and string choices. The way I play for most anything is gentle finger style and let the amp do any loudness 'stedda hitting the strings harder. So I play 9-42 on most of my electrics. One has 8-38. My acoustics wear 9s for fingerpicking and only 10s for flatpicking. I think the 10s on one 12-string are a bit too heavy so it's detuned a full tone.

Some folks think I'm nuts for those choices but... they work awfully nicely for me personally and how/what I play.

I guarantee I've played all sorts of strings, gauges, flats light through sorta heavy, etc. I've played different stuff on different guitars that made other strings seem likely. But it's all very, very personal.

What I use now is what makes sense to me for what I do now. I still keep looking. I recommend the same to others.

m

I will have to check the neck... So is it better to ask a 'pro' to change the strings? What are the strings on the LP STD when they come from the factory? I am a newbie remember :-)

My teacher also advised me to take 9-42 strings. As mentioned before I will have to feel for myself what suits me.

I will have to check the neck... So is it better to ask a 'pro' to change the strings? What are the strings on the LP STD when they come from the factory? I am a newbie remember :-)

My teacher also advised me to take 9-42 strings stock. As mentioned before I will have to feel for myself what suits me.

Gibson 2013 LPs usually came with Les Paul Signature strings. He preferred "mixed gauges" with lighter top and heavier bottom strings: .009" - .011" - .016" - .026"w - .036"w - .046"w

In case you want more of a mellow tone, Gibson Vintage Reissue might be interesting for you. For a brighter sound with increased sustain, Gibson Brite Wires are worth trying.

My personal recommendation would be a .010" - .046" set as next. After two years of playing handling their tension shouldn't be a problem for you. When about tone and intonation, this is a "middle of the road gauge" set. I prefer .010" - .046" on vibrato guitars since many years and use .011" - .050" on hardtails.

Best: prs 10's dunno why but they sound great. Hexigon core? Maybe? No idea

Better: good ol gibson vintage nickels 10's

3rd: still great. Ernie balls 10's nickel. Yellow pack

My opinion of course. I haven't tried the pyramids or extra expensive stuff.....

Archived