Gibson Brands Forums

If you had to pick ONLY 1, who was your biggest guitar inluence

brc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What got me wanting to, firstly was the STONES, and that was at an age before I knew who Keef was. It was definitely the guitar I heard as a kid on those albums.

Throughout life? all time? Clapton. At times my favorite, but even when I have had other favorites, they all kinda seem to go through him. Like BB King, for example, I only ever wanted to listen to him because of what I heard from Clapton. Even what I heard of SRV, and the influences he was so fond of naming and making us all hip to, that is all because of what I heard of Clapton. Eddie Van Halen? because of Clapton.

But here is an interesting question: what about the ones you are NOT concious of? I thought of that question when considering Keef. I see his influence in my playing and my taste everywhere. I often don't even notice.

Randy Rhoads.

But, how much He influenced my playing technique, style, habits? I really don't know. I rather find elements of techniques in my playing from others. I am using the picking technique of Steve Morse, I shake vibratoes like Gary Moore. (Of course, not that well, but in a similiar style).

I'd call Randy as an inspiration. He had the biggest impact on me want to play guitar.

Nor do I have idols - never had. I never wanted to be someone else.

Cheers... Bence

Here's a thought too...

We're talking about pickers but... the older I get the more I think in terms of overall musical concepts that aren't necessarily part of any given genre but are more a bit of our musical foundation on which guitar or whatever is added.

So... might one suggest that Glenn Miller, Ruby Braff, the Duke, Harry James, Bea Wain (singer), Lightning Hopkins, Hank Snow, Bob Wills, Strauss and Wagner, Louis Armstrong and Red Nichols... all were major contributors to what I am as a musician and guitar player in terms of overall taste and concept?

m

Archived