Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery 1930's Double Cutaway Gibson

Red 333

I'd say this guitar was built in Chicago, not Kalamazoo.

It sure looks like a Kay or Harmony to me, from the finish, to the tailpiece, to the neck heel, to the taper of the headstock, to the "Gibson" logo being way off center...., shall I go on.

OK, I will.

I would also suspect the guitar to be built of plywood (some of you call it laminate), and if all above is correct, the neck would be made of poplar.

I'd say this guitar was built in Chicago, not Kalamazoo.

It sure looks like a Kay or Harmony to me, from the finish, to the tailpiece, to the neck heel, to the taper of the headstock, to the "Gibson" logo being way off center...., shall I go on.

OK, I will.

I would also suspect the guitar to be built of plywood (some of you call it laminate), and if all above is correct, the neck would be made of poplar.

Good observations, but the article's author came to different conclusions, as apparently a Gibson employee from the '30's verifies that he had the guitar as a sales sample. The article says that the guitar "...has seen a restoration or two over its history and the tuners and logo aren’t original. But it does come with a letter from George Gruhn validating his opinion on its history along with a letter from Stanley Jackson, the Gibson sales employee who received the guitar in 1930."

Red 333

Archived