Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard cleaner

Gary_T

Because if you don't remember, I do;>)

Well I remember it was not Windex, what was recommended in those times ;-)

Funny, that people are willing to spend more than 1000 bucks for a good guitar, but don't want to spend less then 10 for a good care product. And this last sentence wasn't pointed into your direction, but more some kind of conclusion over the whole thread.

Well I remember it was not Windex, what was recommended in those times ;-)

Funny, that people are willing to spend more than 1000 bucks for a good guitar, but don't want to spend less then 10 for a good care product. And this last sentence wasn't pointed into your direction, but more some kind of conclusion over the whole thread.

I'm just the opposite actually. I've spent lots of good money on guitars almost my whole life, to take them out and use them. When I was a kid, there weren't dozens of guitar polishes clamoring for buyers. We didn't polish them because they were going out for at least three nights this week, and polishing and babying guitars is pretty pointless when you are using them all the time. A good cleaning, sure, life is dirty for a guitar. But Windex, or a dab of mild dish soap and a pinch of baking soda in a spray bottle full of water, followed by a spot of Pledge on a soft towel and you got a clean guitar.

Guitar Polishes, Waxes, Sauces, Elixirs, BBCreams, Enhancers, Lotions, Jizzms, all just products to buy, not anything anyone ever needed. That's been my experience.

rct

Guitar Polishes, Waxes, Sauces, Elixirs, BBCreams, Enhancers, Lotions, Jizzms, all just products to buy, not anything anyone ever needed. That's been my experience.

rct

Meets my experience, too. I tried some of that stuff during my first years and found it useless.

So I always do what I posted in #2:

... breathing on them and wiping with a very soft facial tissue.

For years I used Stradella violin polish all over my guitars...never had a problem. Now you need a co-signer to buy a bottle of it. I've switched to Klean & Shine by Johnsons. A great guitarist turned me on to it and even gave me as can to get started. He buys it by the case. I really like it.

Archived