Gibson Brands Forums

Old Gibson Identification Help w/ pic

BustedLimb

I have an old Gibson acoustic I am trying to identify. After extensive inspection, I can find no numbers anywhere. It has the following features:

-19 Frets

-X-Brace Flat Top

-Dark pick guard with some maroon marble looking areas in it

-Sunburst Colors

-About 33.5" long and 14.25" wide at the wide part, 11" wide at the narrow part

-4" or so deep

-No tuner gear covers

-Also about 25" from bridge to nut and 17" long fretboard.

-Front and back binding

IMG_1034.jpg

I have an old Gibson I am trying to identify. After extensive inspection' date=' I can find no numbers anywhere. It has the following features:

-19 Frets

-X-Brace Flat Top

-Dark pick guard with some maroon marble looking areas in it

-Sunburst Colors

-About 33.5" long and 14.25" wide at the wide part, 11" wide at the narrow part

-4" or so deep

-No tuner gear covers

Apparently this forum doesn't allow pictures? I have some I can email to whoever thinks they might be able to ID it, but it looks a lot like this guitar:

[img']http://www.provide.net/~cfh/j45_52.jpg[/img]

I think its smaller then that, however. Like a small body J-45?

It has this style Gibson logo on the head without the "Only a Gibson..." part:

goodeng.jpg

late 1940's LG-1. Note the narrow 14 1/8" body width.

LG-0, LG-1, LG-2, LG-3, B-25, B-25N Flattops

Three LG-1, LG-2, LG-3 models were all introduced in August 1942. But the LG1 and LG3 stopped production right after introduction (only about 100 of each model was produced in 1942), leaving just the LG-2 as the only model made through WW2. All three models had different top/brace materials. The LG-1 had a mahogany top and chocolate brown top finish, the LG-3 had a blond natural spruce top, and the LG-2 had a spruce sunburst top. So the most common war-time (banner logo) 14.25" Gibson was the sunburst LG-2. After WW2 the LG-1 and LG-3 were reintroduced, but now the three models had different features between them (the LG1 for example now had ladder bracing with a spruce top and sunburst finish). In 1958 the LG-0 was introduced as the new low-end flattop model (ladder bracing, mahogany top, brown top finish).

Collectibility: Script logo (pre-1947) LG-2, LG-3: C+, all others: D-.

The LG-2 and LG-3 due to their spruce top and "X" bracing, are much better instruments than the LG-0 and post-WW2 LG1 models. B-25 and B-25N models, although X-braced, are constructed with adjustable bridges and other 1960's features that make them undesirable. Unfortunatly, since all models are essentially student models with narrow 14 1/8" wide bodies (2" narrower than a J-45, and .5" narrower than an L-00) and are quite plentiful, they are not real collectible (though the script logo LG-2/LG-3 are quite good for their size and some people do collect them).

LG-0: 1958 to 1974. mahogany top, ladder braced, natural.

LG-1: August 1942 to 1974 (no production 1943-1945), X-braced and brown finish/mahogany top in 1942, ladder braced spruce top/sunburst finish after WW2.

LG-2: August 1942 to late 1962. X-braced spruce top, sunburst (replaced by B-25 in late 1962)

LG-3: August 1942 to late 1963 (no production 1943-1945). X-braced spruce top, natural top (replaced by B-25N in late 1962)

B-25, B-25N: late 1962 to 1977. X braced spruce top. Available in 12 string version too.

All are 14 1/8" to 14 1/4" wide, mahogany back and sides (except for some WW2 models some had maple back and sides), mahogany neck (except during WW2, when maple laminated necks were used), dot fingerboard inlays, 24.75" scale length, silkscreen gold decal "Gibson" logo. The "X" braced models are decent little guitars. The ladder braced LG-0 and post-war LG1 are not very good, essentially beginner's guitars.

1958 LG-0 introduction specs:

14 1/8" wide Mahogany top, mahogany back and sides, straight ladder bracing, black bridge pins, screw-on black pickguard, tortoise binding on top and back, 3 on-a-plate tuners, rectangle rosewood bridge, rosewood fingerboard, 20 frets total, 3-on-a-plate tuners, natural finish. Bridge pad was spruce, which unfortunately would wear out from the string's ball-ends.

In 1962 plastic bridge used. $85 list price.

In 1963 an injection molded styrene pickguard was used.

In 1966 rosewood bridge with adjustable saddle was used.

In 1968 spruce top on some models.

In 1974 discontinued.

August 1942 LG-1 introduction specs:

14 1/8" wide Spruce top, X-bracing, mahogany back, no lengthwise center seam on inside back, mahogany sides, mahogany neck, rectangle bridge with black pins, single bound top and back, sometimes darker sunburst finish (darker than the LG-2, to hide the lower quality spruce top). "Only a Gibson is Good Enough" banner logo. Only about 100 made in 1942, production ceased until 1946.

In 1946 the "banner" is dropped (still a script "Gibson" peghead logo). Bracing changed to ladder.

In 1948 goes to a "block" Gibson peghead logo.

In 1955 larger pickguard with point, and 20 frets total.

In 1962 plastic upper belly bridge. $105 list price.

In 1966 rosewood bridge with adjustable saddle was used.

Discontinued in 1968 but seen as late as 1974.

August 1942 LG-2 introduction specs:

14 1/8" wide Spruce "X" braced top, mahogany back and sides, single bound top and back (though some had triple bound tops), fire stripe teardrop pickguard, 19 total frets, rosewood fingerboard, rectangle rosewood bridge with black bridge pins, two pearl dots on bridge, dot fingerboard inlays, 3 on-a-plate tuners, sunburst finish. "Only a Gibson is Good Enough" banner logo. The only small body banner logo model made in great numbers during WW2.

In 1943 standard tortoise pickguard.

1943-1945: Some war-time models have a mahogany top and/or maple back and sides. In 1946 the "banner" is dropped (still a script "Gibson" peghead logo).

In 1948 goes to a "block" Gibson peghead logo.

In 1949 a 3/4 scale (23") LG-2 was introduced, with ladder bracing.

In 1955 larger pickguard with point, 20 frets total, lower braces.

In 1961 has cherry sunburst finish, no pearl dots on bridge, $115 retail price.

In 1962 has white bridge pins.

In late 1962 replaced by B-25.

Early LG-2 models are actually a decent little guitar, since it has "X" bracing.

Worth of these is dependent upon condition, year of manufacture and what someone is willing to pay. This one, with the old stlye script, and without the banner logo, is probably pre-49 and post wartime....though with Gibson, anything is possible. At any rate, if it dates from that time, there seems to be some demand for them.

I'd guess at an LG2 from 1946. Maybe 1947. It looks to be in pretty good condition.

I sold a good sounding '47 LG2 this past year that was also in very good shape for $3000.

IMO, regardless of what's going on out there in the economy, if you have clean vintage

guitars that are set up well and that sound good, you will have buyers. A luthier who worked on several of my other guitars this past year told me that he had clients who would buy them immediately for my best (fair) price.

1946 Gibson LG 2. This is a "script only" logo accepted by most as a 1946. The 1946 typically do not have any numbers. The script only guitars have a reputation as good sounding guitars. There are many, myself included, who have a particular fondness for the 46 models. Their prices will rival the earlier banner head models especially the LG model. I believe there may be one on ebay now. You may want to watch that auction. Also check gbase, you can search for a Gibson LG2. I would estimate $3500 range if it is as nice as it looks.

Terry

It does on vintage Gibsons. They are known for somewhat sloppy glue work. In fact some vintage Gibsons are a bit crude on the inside. Just the way they are, nothing to be concerned about. Selling a guitar can be a real pain even if you know guitars, especially when the buyer doesn't know anything about vintage guitars.

Terry