Gibson Brands Forums

New 1959 ES-225

Rabs

Im not really a fan of the big fat body Gibsons but theres something about that I really like... Its interesting they call it an "Electric Spanish guitar"?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/1959-ES-225.aspx

The ES-225 was first introduced in 1956 as the lower-cost sibling of the thinline Byrdland and ES-350T guitars of the year beforefully hollow archtops with built-in pickups and electronics, designed for a new generation of players. Aimed initially at jazz players seeking to lighten the load and combat feedback, the ES-225 quickly became a favorite of bluesers and rocknrollers for its comfortable feel, superb playability, and raw, bighting P-90 tone. The 1959 ES-225 from Gibson Memphis captures the essential features and full vintage vibe of the best year of this great thinline Electric Spanish guitar, re-creating the full look, feel, and sonic versatility of an underappreciated classic, in a stunning Vintage Burst finish with nickel hardware.

The 1959 ES-225 from Gibson Memphis is made with the same shape and laminated-maple construction of the iconic ES-175, but with a thinline body that makes it a real pleasure to play. It is crafted with vintage-spec ingredients, including hand-carved spruce braces, and mahogany headblock and tailblock. The quarter-sawn mahogany neck is secured with hot hide glue, just like in the golden era of the great Gibson archtops, with a comfortably rounded 59 profile and a one-piece hand-selected dark rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlays and tan vintage binding. A pair of period-correct Memphis Historic Spec P-90 pickups induce all the warmth, growl and sizzle that players have come to love from these legendary fat single-coil pickups. Vintage-certified tone is further ensured by a traditional wrapover bail bridge and tailpiece and a genuine nylon nut, with plastic-button Kluson tuners to complete the look. Your 1959 ES-225 comes protected in a brown Gibson hardshell case with plush charcoal lining, and includes a Certificate of Authenticity along with other literature and coverage

ES22514VBNH1-Hero-2_zpse896fc3a.jpg

ES22514VBNH1-Back-Shot_zps79f4014c.jpg

ES22514VBNH1-Side-Shot_zps646752ac.jpg

ES22514VBNH1-Glam-Shot_zps9a30067b.jpg

Nice, I wonder if it will come in any other colours. Nothing in the page that I could see.

Yeah it looks like just that one colour.. If you go to the Specification page they usually show all the finishes and thats the only one there (vintage burst they call it)

I think its a beauty!

Just kind of screams "jazz player" of the 40s 50s.

You would not have to twist my arm too much to take one, even at the $3,200.00 plus range.

FZ Fan, MORON is right, why would any one do that <change out the neck> and screw up a nice guitar that way.

I guess some people think they know more about guitars, and necks than Gibson.

I mentioned this before, I had one of those I bought for $400 back around 1979 - smooth jazz is right but I was hoping more for George Thorogood so I ended up giving it away to this crazy lady I was seeing.

It was a nice enough guitar but wasn't quite what I was after. I seem to recall the instrument having a shorter scale than the 335 I had at the time.

They're good guitars I'm sure.

I prefer the 1990s MIK Peerless Plant Epiphone Sorrento though.

I also would probably buy a Heritage H 525 over the Gibson.

Here's a good Epiphone source. Just look at the 1990s model.

Here's the Heritage

IMG]http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj438/Californiaman5/H525Specs_zps2c86e259.jpg[/img]

Archived