Gibson Brands Forums

All in one amps system

awel

Some great insight and advice from everyone there Al. Maybe when you have the gigs like those you put on youtube (which I enjoyed) with the kids wandering about and everything a modelling amp would be perfect, and then when you are playing other types of gigs at real muso type venues for blues or where its all about the music and you want to push some big air and feel at one with the harder core crowd you could still break out the Marshall for those ocassions where you want that vibe?

Some great insight and advice from everyone there Al. Maybe when you have the gigs like those you put on youtube (which I enjoyed) with the kids wandering about and everything a modelling amp would be perfect, and then when you are playing other types of gigs at real muso type venues for blues or where its all about the music and you want to push some big air and feel at one with the harder core crowd you could still break out the Marshall for those ocassions where you want that vibe?

Ï like what you suggest :)

And thank you for the kind comment about my vidéos :)

Here's one more thought though from an old guy.

When I was a kid of 12, I could fix my own tube radios by looking for a tube that didn't look right and hauling it down the street on my bicycle to one of the radio and tv repair stores in a town of something like 1,500 people. They had tube testers right up front. I'd put the tube in the tester and if it didn't look quite right I'd holler and the owner would check to see if the little kid did things right - and then get me a new tube for a cupla of bucks, little more than the price of an incandescent light bulb. Hmmmm. They're going out of style in the US too, come to think of it.

Nowadays there aren't the tubes being manufactured. I honestly wonder how long they will be - or at what price. WWII had lots of tubes being made for military purposes, and afterwards the demand continued with the consumer electronics of the day such as the televisions that brought sprouting antennae on every home in the '50s. Heck, we still were using a wind-up "record player" when I was in elementary school. An "electric record player" cost too much at the time.

So... I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but I haven't seen a television or other "electronic sound system" lately with much in the way of tubes, nor consumer grade public address systems. Nor commercial radio transmitters, etc. So the demand is relatively low.

My guess is that the price tag is going to go up and up if they're available at all - encouraging more SS guitar amps at pretty much all price points.

No way will I argue against tube amplification; it's been part of my life for a long time. If you've heard the good old tube radio station transmitters and then listen to today's SS stuff, from transmitter to ears, there's not even a comparison in richness of sound.

But what I'm saying is that I can see where today's 16-year-old would-be rocker may be lucky to get and keep a decent tube amp while he's young, and hope the tubes stay in condition. The one tube joint where I live now, population roughly 6,000 but out in the boonies, recently closed due to the death of the owner. I think it's about a 60 mile one-way trip to find the next-closest place with tubes on hand or to test them or do the other messing with amps. That's in a total very rural population of perhaps 150,000 - 100 times what it was when I was a kid.

That's another reason why I could feature some sort of "multi-effect" programmable rig between the guitar and a bare-bones SS amp to have various emulations of sound. Yeah, I see weaknesses in the idea too - but electronics were basically just getting started 100 years ago and are a world different from 50 years ago. WWII helped bring tubes, the transistor and now various other "stuff" generally is overtaking the electronics business.

I'm not saying it's "good," simply that it doggone well could be where "we" are going whether we like it or not. I'd prefer not, but...

m

You should ALWAYS have a backup for live playing, ALWAYS. It does not matter what gear you use.

Agreed. He takes my amp as a back up....or borrows from a friend. The point is that Line 6 stuff seems unreliable. His HD 500 is broke again and will cost more to fix than it's worth!

Hi again,

it should be questions/answers Thursday :)

Sorry post a lot today but I getting your experiences on several subjects.

I am thinking of moving from all valves/ tubes amplifiers with too many pedal effects on the floor to all in one amp system (line 6, Eleven rack, Fractal AXE FX (if I have the money of course :)), Hughes and Kettner Switchblade, or even Mac software like Irig/Amplitubes ...

I like the look of my Marshall head with the cabinet but now I am gigging more often and I thinking of something more simple and easy to carry.

For sure I am a tubes amps lover, but to be honest, I have more and more the feeling that people that came to see the show, come to see the show and are not really concerned by the 'is it a real tubes amps tone that he is using?'

So I think it is only because it bother me a bit be classified as 'not using a real amp guy'.

Does someone here using such a configuration and is it easy to accept the change(I mean to accept the fact playing on something else than classic gears)?

Modelisation has made huge progress and to be honest by exemple I have a friend that has the Axe FX, and even for Blues tone, it is difficult to say that it is modelisation.

If you're using or have used that kind of gear, please give you thoughts.

Check out the Fender Mustang III Amp

Archived