Gibson Brands Forums

Butterfly Picks

zombywoof

Not sure if this one has come up but have any of you folks taken a leap of faith and tried them? I read about them on AGF and being in an adventurous frame of mind decided what the heck and ordered a set. Was not expecting much as I have never been able to make peace with fingerpicks. But based on my initial impressions these things actually seem to work. When they showed up being in a hurry, I dispensed with the shaping of the pick part, slapped them on and grabbed the nearest guitar which was my Schmidt Jumbo. As it was tuned to D Open I launched into Tommy Johnson's "Big Road Blues" and then the Stones "Prodigal Son." Not saying it went flawlessly but a whole lot better than with any other fingerpicks I have tried. The sound - not as sharp an attack as you get with "traditional" fingerpicks but more snap than when just playing with your fingers. I found I will have to adapt my right hand a bit and arch my thumb more than I tend to do. But these are as close in feel to just playing with my fingers as I have ever gotten with fingerpicks.

I'm standing by for an update.

I have a box full of various types of fingerpicks. The only ones that have ever really worked for me are the Dunlop nickel silvers, but they are pretty uncomfortable, so I'll be interested in your views on these after a few days of use.

My problem is that my nails grow fast, but are pretty fragile, particularly on the fingers. Thumb nail holds up fairly well, but I inevitably break them when they are just about right.

Archived