Gibson Brands Forums

1961 SG value

beekun

If it has original p-90s, it's a Special, not a Standard.

The value will depend on condition. It could be anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to 10 or 15 grand.

Do you have any documentation, the original case, or anything else like that?

I have original case. Bought it from original owner. It's no fake. I have owned it for 39 years.

I bought it to play and it's seen a lot of use but has been well cared for. Played a lot of slide.

It was a good mate to my 1961 J45 (coincidentally made the same week as the SG - at least according to the serial #s).

I have original case. Bought it from original owner. It's no fake. I have owned it for 39 years.

That helps.

You could check some of the vintage guitar sellers sites to get an idea of the actual value.

Do you need it for insurance? If so, you may want to get a professional appraisal, and then you'll have actual hard documents.

it has the vibrato tailpiece but I can't find the handle. it's cherry red and has a red lined case that looks like alligator skin - it's not a hardshell - just semi-solid stiff fiberboard or something like that.

You've probably got the Archcraft case, so that would more than likely be the original.

Lots of times the bridge does appear to be at quite an angle in the catalog photos, but not quite that drastic in real life.

Great guitars. I've got the 62 model. :)

Archived