Gibson Brands Forums

Pro bridge repair

Cougar

A flattop all solid wood acoustic that I'm looking at had its rosewood bridge pulling up, and it was professionally repaired. The top didn't seem to be affected, since the whole guitar looks to be in excellent condition in the pics. A close-up of the bridge looks pretty darn good, with just a very tiny bit of glue showing on the edges. Can I expect that the guitar will have at least close to its original good tone?

Beware. The tone probably will not be affected enough for the human ear to tell a difference, but there is a lot of force on a bridge (several hundred pounds I believe). I had a classical that was subject to very hot temperature and then rapid cooling (hey I was only about 12 years old at the time) and the contraction of the strings as they cooled popped the bridge right off the body. Over the years I had it repaired twice and even though I still own the guitar am always a little worried when tuning it up to pitch.

The problem is that the glue is usually stronger than the wood itself. But the wood around where the damage is has been compromised some from it's original condition and the glue under the bridge will hold, but the wood nearby might break away (thus the need for my second repair).

Unless it is a real bargain and you really love something about this particular guitar I would look for another - the same model that hasn't had this problem.

I think Twang is correct, but I would take a different view.

If it is a good guitar, potential issues with the bridge would be low on my list. I would care more how it sounds and plays, what kind of guitar it is, how much are they asking, all that stuff. Guitars can be fixed.

Lots of good guitars, and old good guitars, have been fixed many times. Plenty of people are playing guitars that have had neck-resets and new bridges without a flinch.

As for potential problems, it really does depend on the quality of the repair. "Professionally repaired" really doesn't mean anything. It could be nothing more than a guy paid another guy. And it is no indication at all as to the skill or knowledge of who did the repair.

Stein has a good point. I have seen guitars that the entire head stock broke off and with the right guy repairing it can be good as new. But it's hard to know who repaired this one and how good a job they did. Might be fine forever, might be a problem [confused]

Man, you guys are good. Just the stuff I was looking for.

Unless it is a real bargain and you really love something about this particular guitar I would look for another - the same model that hasn't had this problem.

So the tone's not an issue with a bridge repair, but the possibility of future pull-up is. That's something I want to know, thanks. And I hear what stein's saying too:

"If it is a good guitar, potential issues with the bridge would be low on my list. I would care more how it sounds and plays, what kind of guitar it is, how much are they asking, all that stuff. Guitars can be fixed.

Yes, there are a lot of considerations! My head spins, especially since there's another potential guitar involved, haha, different brand altogether. The one with the bridge repair did just drop the price after a month or so on the market (not ebay), but basically, it's still overpriced in my book. It doesn't meet Twang's criterion "unless it's a real bargain" at all, so I'll keep watching. Problem is, people who got 'em, like 'em, and nobody's selling. Ever. Almost. Out of production in 2010. Very rarely available.

But this may all be moot, since I've been studying the Martin OMCPA4. I'm a 1.75" nut... nut. Solid sapele/spruce, onboard Fishman. Used in mint condition around a grand. I've got several Epiphones, but I don't really know Gibsons that well. What's Gibson got around that price range?

I guess that is a potential issue with any acoustic though, right?

Yep.

If the tone is good and the price is right.... [thumbup]

...then I've been known to jump on it. :rolleyes: The price is not quite right on this one yet. I am fortunately in no hurry. Besides, there's fun in the hunt as well as the catch. [thumbup]

As for potential problems, it really does depend on the quality of the repair. "Professionally repaired" really doesn't mean anything. It could be nothing more than a guy paid another guy. And it is no indication at all as to the skill or knowledge of who did the repair.

Oh, in this case the pro may be known by some of the players here. It's Jake Wildwood at Antebellum in Vermont. He seems to be well into his craft. And modest ("I don't think of myself as a glamorous, high profile, high-dollar luthier. I'm more of a country doctor of the trade...") Anybody with experience with Jake?

I guess that is a potential issue with any acoustic though, right? If the tone is good and the price is right.... [thumbup]

That's what I was thinking...

Besides I know of plenty of guitars, even archtop electrics that have to have their bridges pinned to keep them in place. Albeit I believe it's a floating bridge style, but even Ted Nugent has had his Byrdland bridges pinned to keep them in proper place to keep tune/intonation...

If you play that vigorously you can expect to have to attend to such issues at some point in your career. If not I wouldn't worry about it, and if you do, then a good luthier will make it perfectly good...

If you play that vigorously you can expect to have to attend to such issues at some point in your career. If not I wouldn't worry about it, and if you do, then a good luthier will make it perfectly good...

I've been back-and-forth on getting this guitar. I'm taking your advice and not considering the bridge repair as overly significant. The seller's communication lines seem to be down over the holiday....

Oh, in this case the pro may be known by some of the players here. It's Jake Wildwood at Antebellum in Vermont.

OK, who picked up the Epi AJ500RC from Antebellum? [biggrin] I still say it was overpriced, but I guess when you're the only game in town--er, on the planet, you can gouge a bit. I've got plenty of Epi's and two very nice Masterbilts - the RC would have been a nice addition, but I'm also thinking of branching out a bit with a Martin or Gibbie... which is a little difficult with my spending limit. [crying]

Archived