Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP locking tuners question.

buliwyf

This is the first time I bought a LP that has locking tuners and I'm missing something easy and making it harder than it is I think.Are the locks just used when changing strings to lock them into place and have no use when tuning the string.I always thought you had to loosen the locks to loosen the tuners that you couldnt even turn the tuners when the locks were tightened. However I think all the locks do is just lock the string in place and have nothing to do with tuning the guitar.Sorry for being such a bonehead but I've had a lot of Floyd roses over the years with the locking nuts and I think I'm seeing that instead of these locking tuners.Thank God it dosent have a auto tuner on it,I'd be in a rubber room for sure.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPST2-LIST

Thank's much BOBF I thought it was that but after breaking a hi E string last night I was a bit confused. From what I read on a Gibson site it said by using those tuners I wont be needing to wind the string around the post as many times. They suggested just putting the string in the post hole tighten the lock and turn till tuned,dosent sound right,I always wind around at least 3 times.

Yup.. its a totally normal confusion...

Most people think locking tuners lock the tuning into place.. But no, as you have found out they are built for quick string changing...

They are cool though [thumbup]

Archived