Gibson Brands Forums

Speed Knob Opinions

Nathan3157

I got a set of gold speed knobs today for my Les Paul plustop pro. I couldn't hardly do the coil tapping/splitting with the bell shaped knobs. I love these things now! I was just curious as to what everyone else thinks of them?

I prefer the bells. Got them on all my Epi's.

I think it is just a preference for the player. I have no problem using them to switch into coil tapping/splitting.

I just put a set of black ones on my SG '61 RI and I love them. I really liked the way the top hat knobs looked, but they just didn't provide enough grip for my liking. The speed knobs certainly provide superior grip, but to be honest I find them a little bit clunky looking and I wish they'd sit more flush with the top of my guitar like the top hats. But all in all I'm very pleased and I'm glad I switched them out.

I have always preferred top hats. When I recently got a Gibson SGJ I bought some black Top Hats for it. When I put them on I thought they looked great. But when I used them I did not like them. I like them on most of my guitars. But on my SG they just do not turn very easily.

So.....I put the black speed knobs back on. And I find them much easier to use on that particular guitar.

So for me, from now on, it's function over form.

I also have grown to like the way they look actually. So many of my guitars have the black top hats on them that it's nice to have something different.

Archived