Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page's pre-Zep music

Stu-bud

The more I listen to the old albums, the more amazed and impressed I am with his talent as a producer. Zeppelin's songs have withstood the test of time, not just because of his writing, and playing, but because of the way they were recorded.

Yeah, the man's definitely on another plane and level from everyone else. Ever see the footage of him at the RAH playing 'White Summer' on that piece of c##p tele? About 25 minutes of pure genius!

it's his birthday today?

Yeah, the man's definitely on another plane and level from everyone else. Ever see the footage of him at the RAH playing 'White Summer' on that piece of c##p tele? About 25 minutes of pure genius!

it's his birthday today?

If yer talkin' 1970 it was a Danelectro I believe...

If yer talkin' 1983 (The NYC Arms Concert) when he was playin' that black Tele, it wasn't the Tele that was crap, it was his jonesin' for another fix of heroin. (it's the only footage of him on a Tele I can recall or find now on YouTube) I think that performance of his sucked and made him but a poor shadow of what he had once been... He was sloppy and stumbling over riffs, licks, and phrases flubbing most of them. That was during his darkest time of severe drug addiction that nearly ended his life... It was a terrible performance of his!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Jimmy Page fan and I think he's a very soft-spoken, nice, and unassuming guy. (things that make me a fan of his over egotistical and outspoken guitarists) Clean and sober he's spectacular, he was an originator of the British Blues Boom going off into Rock and Roll beyond the pop boom that the Rolling Stones and others got caught up in...

But that performance with the Black Tele is difficult for me to watch because he's so bad and he looks like he's on death's door step to me... (he even "butchered Stairway To Heaven") The hinky ticks and inability to stay still is tough to watch...

But the Arms concert wasn't in RAH, so maybe I'm thinking of something entirely different...

There's no question he's a living legend and worth all the accolades! But that performance with that Black Tele that I see on YouTube is awful!

He was a genius of music, playing, writing, arranging, producing, and recording. There can be no debate about that!

I loved him in "This Might Get Loud" with Edge & Jack White!

I just think his genius showed far more prior to and after that Tele performance that sticks out in my mind...

I like this performance from 2002 @ RAH...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94IE0J6L-FU

He belongs on a Les Paul!!!

Yeah, I agree, he's at his best on his #2 LP. But this particular performance, he was sitting down and he played White Summer for about 25min. It was brilliant. Pretty sure it was the RAH. could be wrong though. Doesn't really matter I suppose. It was just, the performance was mesmerising! Love to find it again.

The more I listen to the old albums, the more amazed and impressed I am with his talent as a producer. Zeppelin's songs have withstood the test of time, not just because of his writing, and playing, but because of the way they were recorded.

Stairway to Heaven has to be a top 10 off all time song

Yeah, I agree, he's at his best on his #2 LP. But this particular performance, he was sitting down and he played White Summer for about 25min. It was brilliant. Pretty sure it was the RAH. could be wrong though. Doesn't really matter I suppose. It was just, the performance was mesmerising! Love to find it again.

Haven't seen it yet then and I'm glad you weren't hooked on that Arms Concert footage because it was horrid...

As much as that particular performance was awful to watch, he's done things that are magical and that inspire me to this day...

I'll try to find the footage of which you speak... He did do alot with a Tele, especially studio stuff...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was this particular tele he was playing, but then again, I could be wrong too. All I was watching were his fingers going on the fretboard! lol Just transfixed!

I've seen him use it before in some old black and white footage doing "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You'. And it was all kind of hand painted multi colours like the one Clapton had.The trend of the day.

I'll try and see if I can find it again and post it.

Archived