Gibson Brands Forums

Going mad...!

daveinspain

Ok so I bought a new Taylor 114ce, very nice guitar sounds and plays great. Made in Mexico but still a very high quality guitar at a very good price. Then I go into a local Mom and pop store and find a Hummingbird (2011) asking price 1999.0o in perfect, like new, shape. Plays and sounds great. I will take some pics and get the serial numer and so forth today and post them... I was looking on ebay to see what they are going for and seems they are like $1000 above what they are asking... Then I noticed there are some really good looking humminbirds that are being offered from Japan [scared]

Are there Hummingbird fakes on the market now too... What should I look for to spot a fake... I know what to look for on a Les Paul but on a Hummingbird, no idea... This place also has some nice used Taylors, USA models at good prices, for instance a 414ce (2013) for $1299... I payed $750 for my Mexican 114ce but I can still get my money back and go for one of the used guitars...

From what I can see used Hummingbirds go for around two grand.

When I was a kid they were $300-400 used.

For two grand you can also get a used Martin HD-28 which is what I would go with but it's all in what you like.

Can't help you with spotting Hummingbird knock offs.

You might post in the accoustic section as well...there are some guys that really know their Hummingbirds. The differences in price might reflect the the many different models and production of the recent Montana stuff.

I can't advise on personal taste, but it seems you sure pulled the trigger on that Taylor, and have been on the fence about it ever since. What it plays like, what it does for you, that's what matters.

They say the right guitar for you is the one that makes you want to play it. Or, a good guitar is one that makes you want to play. Something like that.

Seems in this case, a good guitar is something that makes you want to play a Gibson.

Dave: a good friend just bought a Chibson J200 and a knock off Martin D-28. I played both of them and they are scary good. Very very little difference in the Chibson and my Gibson. The main difference being the Chibson set him back around $300 (I think) and mine was close to $3900. I can't address the Martin differences because I don't own one.

Archived