Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Junior Tailpiece issue

dbrian66

Hi all! I just aquired an Epi LP Junior. The bushings in the tailpiece/bridge are loose in the body allowing the tailpiece to roll foward with the tension of the strings. Any ideas on how to fix this? I know its a really cheap guitar so I am not going to put any money into it. I was thinking about mixing some sawdust and wood glue and puting them in the holes before i put in the bushings. I dont know much about wood so I'm not sure that would work. Any help would be great!

Guitar Fetish. Wraparound tailpiece/bridge under $13. Includes new studs & bushings.

My link

Or if you like your current bridge, just replace the bushings (make sure you get metric thread). Use your studs & bridge.

Good luck...

If I am understanding what dbrian66 is describing, than buying a new bridge or bushings is not going to fix the problem at all.

I had the same problem with my SG junior. A gap in the wood between the bushing and the body occured because the bridge was being pulled forward. I took it in and had someone fix it for me. Didn't cost that much, and haven't had a problem with it in over 7 years.

I'm sure you could do it yourself, but I'm not sure how to do it. Good luck! [thumbup]

I'd use wood rather than glue & shavings, if there is room. Toothpicks, cut as thin as you need, and wood-glued in.

That's a great idea. Not sure if I will be able to though. The hole is bigger at the bottom. At the face of the guitar it's almost good. Maybe cut short pieces and fill in at the bottom of the hole. I'm thinking to myself now as I'm typing! LOL

Forgot to mention - I had the same issue with an Epiphone SG Junior I bought back in '05.

I found the diameter on the Guitar Fetish bushings just slightly larger than he stock units. Solved the problem in less than 10 minutes.

Eventually upgraded to a Lollar P90, Grover tuners, fret level etc. Quite a player now (yeah, I still have it). But I wouldn't have bothered if I couldn't have solved the loose bushing/bridge lean.

Just a thought...

You could try filling in the holes with wood putty /epoxy then drill new holes...might work but since there will be pressure on the holes it might nit be strong enough to hold.It is an easy and cheap endeavor though

Good Luck.Luke

Archived