Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Gibson les paul Zero Fret Nut metal dust.

scottpaine_69

I am a little doubtful of a brass nut of any kind. I mean why?

And if you're seeing little dust flakes every time you play, you know that is material coming off that will quickly add up to a lot of missing material from the nut.

Well, I can see some of the intention behind it. The bridge saddles can be made of brass on higher end replacement bridges, the stop-bars are certainly metal whether Aluminum, Nickel, or some alloy amalgum, so why not the nut? I can see it allowing for some potentially more resonance and possibly sustain, I can see some circles believing it will create a more stable/solidified actual scale length of the neck for rock-steady intonation and tuning... Seemingly; that wasn't achieved on their first manufacturing runs...

Innovation in of itself isn't a bad thing. I would hope their R&D testing didn't allow them to rush something into production that was a dud. But I also see the point brought up previously that there could well be a factory manufacturing dynamic that wasn't accounted-for in the testing that was unexpected. The actual testing prototypes may not have had this issue but the factory manufactured product might have... I can see that.

All in all I suspect it was a good idea, especially on paper. This is clearly something they are addressing if they have a new finish and manufacturing method on the replacements. I think they're working to alleviate the problems found.

I also think the tuning issues and the pops and pings experience by now multiple feedback are not something that we should have to contend-with as consumers. It makes it appear as if the new nut style is no improvement over anything if that is the result...

Having said that I think it's a little early in the game to condemn them yet. If it because a massive boondoggle/debacle for Gibson, we'll hear about it and I suspect we would have heard alot more on it already. I think they have proactively met the issue head-on and I'm hoping their fix is a more permanent one that allows some real-world situational mileage before these parts wear-out or develope issues of wear...

It does seem to me that brass is simply too soft a material to rely upon when ti is not as soft/pliable/flexible as bone, Corain, or Tusq. It makes me rethink the merits of brass bridge saddles for sure unless it's a roller bridge of high quality in both build/machining and metallurgy standards... Brass may just be too soft and wear too quickly especially for steel strings even if the outer winding is Nickel, Bronze, Cobalt or what-have-you...

I guess I won't be replacing my bridges any time soon with brass saddled replacements...

I am curious and interested to see where this goes and what a more long-term feedback and outcome is!

Guest Farnsbarns

Any time you engineer anything metal and then, under normal use, there are metal shavings being produced, you have a design failure.

Unless you designed a file! [lol]

Joking aside, this is a good point, well made.

Archived