Gibson Brands Forums

Im going backwards..... new Double Cut body build

Rabs

Evenin all :)

Today I quickly tried a spare chrome pup ring that I had (I got another on order) and I much prefer that look and it had the lower profile I want [thumbup]

DSC_1171_zpskufk9gtw.jpg

DSC_1173_zps8k39dl8c.jpg

Bridge ground wire hole is drilled as are the tuner holes

DSC_1183_zpsiidonjri.jpg

DSC_1187_zpsgo3mrslr.jpg

Neck profile finished

DSC_1185_zpsxxinygcv.jpg

DSC_1189_zpsdpsuxmuc.jpg

And all channels for wiring :)

DSC_1194_zpsba3lfxnt.jpg

All that's now left is the holes for the pots and switch. And then a lip for the control cavity.. then we are ready to finish :)

And just to end today.. heres a couple of obligatory shots of the double cut ;)

DSC_1178_zpsitu6ax4g.jpg

so so close by the end of the day today

DSC_1180_zpsbkvlq1pq.jpg

Well I hope you are all still enjoying my build threads.. and more tomorrow [thumbup]

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of a Blue (fake) flame Ibanez I used to have, which I had because I LOVED the color.

And also, played a lot better than the '79 (or '80-'81) dog of a Strat I traded for it.

Really looks good. REALLY.

If you were in the USA, you might have a sale. Or two, if you did green.

That double cut is beginning to look very tasty indeed!

Yeah I think its worth the time it takes to get a nice thick coat on.. Makes it look almost as good as any poly or nitro finish [thumbup]

I will have to try those tru oil spray cans out when the weather warms up a bit...

I actually still have a load of nitro in cans too (before I discovered the joy of tru oil) so I will have to do something with those to, as not to waste them (cos they arnt cheap).

oh don't mean sea green I mean a dark green! I think Gibson done one a few years ago on a lp that looked the mutt's

Yup.. would have to be dark green for sure... Not lime green like a certain member on here likes :P :)

sorta like (but not exactly like) this

cu22_evs_2_zpsyttqhwyq.jpg

or how about British racing green?

e-type-jaguar-respray-10-800x600_zpsisel84z2.jpg

Hello all...

just a quick update today...

SO I got some oil on the rest of the body of the double cut now...

Hi Rabs.

Build is looking really good, so far! Really enjoying reading this thread each day. You mentioned that I could ask questions and advice, and I've come up with this one so far.

I can see that, on your DC build; after the blue colouring has been applied, you've been oiling the wood over the dye. The oil you're using; is it something like Danish or tung oil, to bring out the grain through the blue finish? And this is something you'd obviously do before applying a gloss lacquer coating?

The build I'm looking to do will feature some aniline dyes (I think, from StewMac). Depending on the colour I end up choosing and how it takes to the wood, I might do a similar technique to you, by using a dark colour first, sanding back, and then adding the main stain colour on top of it, to add contrast and depth, etc.

Is it a case that the oil helps bring the grain through the finish a bit more, or is it for the wood health?

If this hasn't come across as English (I may have got my words muddled) or you need info further to this, let me know.

I can see that, on your DC build; after the blue colouring has been applied, you've been oiling the wood over the dye. The oil you're using; is it something like Danish or tung oil, to bring out the grain through the blue finish? And this is something you'd obviously do before applying a gloss lacquer coating?

It's my understanding that the Tru Oil (the product he's using) Is the top coat. He's not putting lacquer on it. Tru Oil is a rubbed-on finish (though it's now available in spray cans) that builds upon itself, giving a fairly tough finish. It can be buffed to a really nice luster too.

-Ryan

Hi Rabs.

Build is looking really good, so far! Really enjoying reading this thread each day. You mentioned that I could ask questions and advice, and I've come up with this one so far.

The build I'm looking to do will feature some aniline dyes (I think, from StewMac). Depending on the colour I end up choosing and how it takes to the wood, I might do a similar technique to you, by using a dark colour first, sanding back, and then adding the main stain colour on top of it, to add contrast and depth, etc.

Is it a case that the oil helps bring the grain through the finish a bit more, or is it for the wood health?

If this hasn't come across as English (I may have got my words muddled) or you need info further to this, let me know.

Hello there and thanks for the comments :)

The oil im using is (as Ryan said) Tru Oil which is made as a gunstock finish (the wooden handle part on some guns). So it was built for high usage and is a really nice waterproof fairly tough finish for wood. Nothing is going to be as hard as a polyurethane finish like you find on some cheaper guitars. But the reason Gibson use nitro and a reason to use oil is that it allows the wood to age and is not so thick that it will effect the woods resonance (which I personally think makes a difference).

And what you do is add layer after layer and build it up so it becomes thick and nice and shiny after buffing (you always need to buff any finish if you want that shiny look). The wood will actually be sealed and protected after say three coats but after that you can just keep going if you want a nice shiny finish.

As for colouring ive been watching LOADS of youtube vids on this subject... Its worth watching a few of them, you will soon get the idea. As for what type of stain or dye to use. You can get water based and spirit based.. And that just comes down to personal preference what you like.. I usually use spirit based stains as its whats worked for me..

Check this vid, its worth going to this guys Youtube channel and checking his vids out.. He has become a total master on the subject.

And yes.. do feel free to ask anything you want. There are no stupid questions (cos we all have to learn from somewhere), only stupid answers :)

Ohh and by the way... ive been getting a fair few of my stains from this place http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/stains-dyes-pigments/

Or if you want woody colours you can go get them from B and Q.. Ive used these Colron stains before and they work well (the rosewood and antique pine colours are nice) http://www.diy.com/departments/colron-refined-jacobean-dark-oak-satin-wood-dye-500ml/127883_BQ.prd

Tru oil you can get off ebay or amazon.

Hello there and thanks for the comments :)

The oil im using is (as Ryan said) Tru Oil which is made as a gunstock finish (the wooden handle part on some guns). So it was built for high usage and is a really nice waterproof fairly tough finish for wood. Nothing is going to be as hard as a polyurethane finish like you find on some cheaper guitars. But the reason Gibson use nitro and a reason to use oil is that it allows the wood to age and is not so thick that it will effect the woods resonance (which I personally think makes a difference).

And what you do is add layer after layer and build it up so it becomes thick and nice and shiny after buffing (you always need to buff any finish if you want that shiny look). The wood will actually be sealed and protected after say three coats but after that you can just keep going if you want a nice shiny finish.

As for colouring ive been watching LOADS of youtube vids on this subject... Its worth watching a few of them, you will soon get the idea. As for what type of stain or dye to use. You can get water based and spirit based.. And that just comes down to personal preference what you like.. I usually use spirit based stains as its whats worked for me..

Check this vid, its worth going to this guys Youtube channel and checking his vids out.. He has become a total master on the subject.

And yes.. do feel free to ask anything you want. There are no stupid questions (cos we all have to learn from somewhere), only stupid answers :)

Ohh and by the way... ive been getting a fair few of my stains from this place http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/stains-dyes-pigments/

Or if you want woody colours you can go get them from B and Q.. Ive used these Colron stains before and they work well (the rosewood and antique pine colours are nice) http://www.diy.com/departments/colron-refined-jacobean-dark-oak-satin-wood-dye-500ml/127883_BQ.prd

Tru oil you can get off ebay or amazon.

Many thanks, Rabs. Shall have a look into those sellers. Managed to get my hands on a few bits of mahogany, so hopefully some builds will start sometime this year!

Many thanks, Rabs. Shall have a look into those sellers. Managed to get my hands on a few bits of mahogany, so hopefully some builds will start sometime this year!

Nice... let us know how it goes [thumbup]

My best advice is that if theres something you aren't sure of, always test it first on some scrap wood...

And you can get that from say abandoned pallets.. when I first started I went around a local industrial estate and grabbed some and used it to test stuff out. Or what I do now which is I found a local joinery company and I used their off cuts.. I get a whole load of really nice hardwoods for a very good price. ( I was REALLY lucky to find them though).

Nice... let us know how it goes [thumbup]

My best advice is that if theres something you aren't sure of, always test it first on some scrap wood...

And you can get that from say abandoned pallets.. when I first started I went around a local industrial estate and grabbed some and used it to test stuff out. Or what I do now which is I found a local joinery company and I used their off cuts.. I get a whole load of really nice hardwoods for a very good price. ( I was REALLY lucky to find them though).

Good idea with the pallets; would not have thought of that. I guess a way to test a body blank and such would be to glue the largest area of the slats together, to make a laminated body and/or neck. Is that what you do?

My dad is a carpenter, so the offcuts thing is covered by both his waste and the places we get his timber supply from [thumbup]

Good idea with the pallets; would not have thought of that. I guess a way to test a body blank and such would be to glue the largest area of the slats together, to make a laminated body and/or neck. Is that what you do?

My dad is a carpenter, so the offcuts thing is covered by both his waste and the places we get his timber supply from [thumbup]

Yeah if you want to test a whole body out it would be worth it.. If you glue three or four of the thick pieces together you can make a body... And well I just test on small areas when I do stuff.. So you don't need much wood to test out routing a pickup hole or testing bridge drilling holes if you plan on using a TOM bridge (cos they have to be deadly accurate or the bridge wont fit on the posts).. Stuff like that. Or if you haven't used a router much then its good to do a few tests and make sure you know how it will handle.

But by the sounds of it you don't have a wood problem (no pun intended :)) so lucky you [thumbup] Im sure your dad will give you all the advice you need.

Hello...

And welcome back... Been off again the last couple of days.. that bloody flu came back with a vengeance.. so not much done.. But I did give the DCs top a good rubbing down today and it shows :)

But first heres that single cut with its two chrome pup rings.. And I like it.. Mainly the profile is perfect for this build.. Nice and low [thumbup]

DSC_1173_zpswqois2zx.jpg

And heres a couple of shots where I wet the top so you can sort of see what it will look like with some finish

DSC_1203_zpslpqmiwvq.jpg

DSC_1205_zpscolt3xkc.jpg

Now on to the Double Cut.. You may have seen in some of my previous photos that the top had a few dimples and bumps.. so that's why I gave it a good rub down with 600 grit sandpaper.. But you gotta watch you don't go too far when you do this...

DSC_1176_zpsdmsf0dvm.jpg

The back has come out just perfect.. don't even need to rub it down or anything.. Just buff it when its ready.. Same for the neck

DSC_1178_zps7iab8zru.jpg

f6912b6c-a4c7-46ee-b5c7-b094bd7921fa_zpsvsnb8vxt.jpg

And this is how the front looks after a nice thin coat of oil and its rub down.. Im much happier with that.

DSC_1188_zpsln9aofwq.jpg

DSC_1195_zpsfhuuo0o8.jpg

So there we are.. I think on Mon or Tues I will actually put it all together :D

So as always, thanks for watching and everyone who comments and enjoys.. And have a great weekend.. More soon [thumbup]

Hello all.. Hope you had a good weekend...

Today I got the last couple of jobs done on the single cut (lip for control cavity and pot holes).. and now finishing has started :)

So I did what I did with the double cut and first added some yellow on to help highlight the wood.

1bf069a2-7dcc-4c9b-8dc1-593cb83a0cf9_zpsb6zey7sq.jpg

DSC_1180_zpshpq7yssl.jpg

And then some brown (rosewood stain).. I really like how these two stains effect the colour).

DSC_1182_zpsbjvqgyrx.jpg

c9b94d35-19b7-44e0-9870-786892e02285_zpsgjlntto2.jpg

I also like the way it darkens the sides (side grain always takes more colour in than top wood).

DSC_1200_zpstgryuvsb.jpg

DSC_1204_zps7d9lmzp6.jpg

DSC_1208_zpsqjlw5uvn.jpg

066eb6a7-4c91-4113-9d01-98feb14ff345_zpsjofwtaso.jpg

Also like the way the stains change the colour with different light.. If I put a flash right over it, you can see the yellow and brown, but look at it from afar and it looks like dark brown :)

DSC_1214_zpsqmaa6cma.jpg

So that will dry over night and I may sand it back just slightly, then it gets some oil :)

More below on the double cut.

So I don't know what going on with this top.. Its really weird.. I just cant seem to get it quite perfect.. And whats odd is the rest of the guitar looks great.. But every time I do a layer in the top I get loads of little blemishes...

Check. It is quite shiny and doesn't look too bad from this angle

DSC_1192_zps49cmgfx2.jpg

But look closely and you will see the finish isn't smooth.. at all.. its REALLY odd... its not like I haven't done this before?

DSC_1194_zpsivutklql.jpg

So there you go.. I did do one more layer before I left.. so we will see what it looks like tomorrow.. Im getting kinda fed up with it do maybe I will just go to the buffing stage regardless and hope I can buff and polish all those bits out..

More tomorrow :)

Guest Farnsbarns

Have you ever done any wet sanding? I don't know but my entirely worthless gut feeling is that would be the way to go.

Have you ever done any wet sanding? I don't know but my entirely worthless gut feeling is that would be the way to go.

Actually yes you may be right there.. I was watching a vid the other day where the guy was doing that on tru oil.. But then forgot about it by today [rolleyes]

Will see how it looks tomorrow I guess :)

It is a bit odd though.. I don't usually have to and haven't previously.. But whatever works..

Archived