Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard

vein777

Hi again.

First off; I hope my previous post didn't come across in a negative way as that was certainly not my intent.

Reading through it once more - and after reading Golden's fine post - it does seem as though I might have seemed a bit tad off-hand and dismissive. Apologies duly offered if required.

Secondly; I'm truly delighted you are enjoying your LP as much as you are. Really.

I only posted the links to alert you, gently (hopefully), to the fact that, in case you had missed the releases, Gibson have been doing their bit to incorporate new technologies into their line-up over the last few years and it might be a great deal of fun for you to check out some of their previous offerings. I had a quick look and there are examples of both LP variants available in the USA at the moment. The Dark Fire is around $1,900 and the Dusk Tiger for just a shade more.

As well as this pair of LPs mentioned there is also the even more up-to-date Firebird-X.

But I, like the others, look forward to seeing the snaps of the new addition.

P.

No, I understand there are many that don't want the kinda of changes that they see in the 2015 model. But when you think about it - it got me to buy a Gibson (a first time owner) and therefore appealed to a new base of consumers. Also, most likely if you already own a Gibson, you still own it and probably were not planning to buy a new one anyway if your that connected to your current axe.

That Darkfire is interesting for sure. Seems they could still use some of my ideas even towards that model. At least from my interested position. Attaching my guitar. It isn't the greatest shot.

post-64846-058501000 1422749976_thumb.jpg

You should find a 2014 or 2013. People are trying to save you from buying a lemon. Gibson has screwed them all up trying to innovate. DONT BUY A 2015 they have problems. Take it back and trade it for a 2014. You will be bumming as that nut wears and wont hold tune and you have to ask Gibson for a new one right off the bat.

Too Late. I got a 2015 Les Paul. I love it. A bit pricey for sure but a pleasure to play and looks awesome. I am concerned about what you said about the nut. Is there more data somewhere on that nut issue?

Its all over the Gibson lounge scottpaine 69 has been posting about how his first one wore out in a couple months and they sent him a prototype replacement as its happening across the board. Yes they are beautiful now Gibsons are great guitars but they had no business trying to reinvent what was perfect now they have problems. Myself I would have a luthier take a Graph Tech Tusq blank and custom cut an actual nut it will work better with your robo tuner. I took my robo tuner off and installed Grovers it was a 15 min job.

Yeah, I'm not going to do that until the nut goes bad on mine. No sense it fixing something that aint broke yet. I'm currently selling some other guitars to lighten the load now that I got the Gibson. But if the nut goes bad I still will be holding a couple back to jam on if I need to get it into the shop. I'm keeping my Fender USA HSS Strat and my Greg Bennett Royale RL3 (this guitar is awesome).

I'm selling one of my acoustics (old Applause from the mid 80's).

Also, selling:

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro

Greg Bennett Royale RL4 (an awesome guitar and beautiful)

Greg Bennett Torino TR2

Greg Bennett AV7 (I am debating whether or not to sell this one - it is the all black model and very nice feel).

...I got a 2015 Les Paul.... A bit pricey for sure but a pleasure to play and looks awesome....

Prices in Canada are going to take another jump. Our dollar has gone from near par to below 80 cents US. I have been watching a Martin HD28, thinking I might purchase it with my income tax return in April. The local music store raised the price of Martins by 10% over the weekend. I'm sure the low Canadian dollar is going to affect the Gibsons as well. Then there is the general increase that Gibson itself is putting on their 2015 guitars...

It makes me cringe.

eBay is a good alternative man, I know it sucks to pay before you play but reading a private sellers feedback helps to get a good buy. Used is always cheaper.

I sincerely wish vein777 all the best with his new and beautiful (I'm sure) LP. But I am an old, crabby U.S. citizen that mours for "the good old days" that probably weren't all that good...etc. etc. ;)

I agree D Ray, I've come to a firm belief that new guitars are kinda like new cars...most of the time. Drive it off the lot and it loses value. If it's a new model SUV you're the guinea pig for some new R&D guy who's attache case (do business guys still carry these?) still has the "Nordstrom's tag on it. If I do my homework and am an honest person I'll get a great guitar at a good price. With any fortune if there were any problems they were already manifest or fixed. JMO. I'm gonna go home now and be jealous because I didn't get an early disbursement of my retirement... [crying]

Best to you, vein777!

Brian

I sincerely wish vein777 all the best with his new and beautiful (I'm sure) LP. But I am an old, crabby U.S. citizen that mours for "the good old days" that probably weren't all that good...etc. etc. ;)

I agree D Ray, I've come to a firm belief that new guitars are kinda like new cars...most of the time. Drive it off the lot and it loses value. If it's a new model SUV you're the guinea pig for some new R&D guy who's attache case (do business guys still carry these?) still has the "Nordstrom's tag on it. If I do my homework and am an honest person I'll get a great guitar at a good price. With any fortune if there were any problems they were already manifest or fixed. JMO. I'm gonna go home now and be jealous because I didn't get an early disbursement of my retirement... [crying]

Best to you, vein777!

Brian

It is a gamble for sure. I take a risk with the new features but when you think about 2015 it really did introduce a lot of new stuff. And if it does go over well, then in time this year's model will be a good collector edition some day.

I'm an old fart... I just get what I want and enjoy it. Life is really too short! I don't consider guitars as investments and don't worry if the new ones will appreciate after another 50 years...LOL.

Coming from a techie background also, I don't understand this obsession with the vintage years of LP's. I'm glad my old "toys" are desirable and that some will pay big bucks for worn down tools.

But glad you got what you want... CONGRATS and ENJOY! msp_thumbup.gif

Archived