Gibson Brands Forums

Does my new Les Paul need to be "set up"?

skilsaw

• 2 months later...

My guitar teacher commented today that the C on the first fret of the B String is still sharp when the B string is right on pitch. He said I paid good money for a quality 2013 LP Standard and the store should fix it. This will be the third time I take it back for the same problem.

I'm not going to talk about the problem and hear salesmen talk about the problem. I'm fed up with talking about it. I'll slap a tuner on the guitar and let them listen to it and see the the tuner needle is high.

I'll persist until we agree there is a problem. I won't accept "...but all guitars do that a little..."

Then the salesmen need to convince the guitar technician of the problem. I don't want another work order coming back saying. "intonation checked, all OK"

I have to stop here because I'm starting to get PO'd.

Skilsaw.. just play the darn thing.

I think you're being over critical of the guitar tuning. as you play you will wear down the frets and that C note will come in tune.

if you mash your finger to the fret board you'll pull the notes out of tune unless the frets are really low to start with.

also beginner players play slow so they hear all sorts of 'bad' notes, once you play faster you won't hear those.

Skilsaw.. just play the darn thing.

I think you're being over critical of the guitar tuning. as you play you will wear down the frets and that C note will come in tune.

if you mash your finger to the fret board you'll pull the notes out of tune unless the frets are really low to start with.

also beginner players play slow so they hear all sorts of 'bad' notes, once you play faster you won't hear those.

That's essentially what the guitar salesman said to me today, although with a little more finesse and tact. Not that your note is wrong. You call a spade a spade. The salesman showed me he could play it with the C intune, or with the C sharp. It was a matter of developing a lighter touch which he said will come with experience. So, I'll bite my tongue and "...just play the darn thing."

Just remember friend,the idea is not to press down to touch the wood on the fretboard(it doesn't mean you cant if desired),you only give as much pressure to get desired note.i did this to when i was a beginner.I find this is more noticeable on Les pauls.

This is the idea behind taller frets like medium jumbos etc.

This the best thing for you at this point is to play and play.

Playing classical and other styles is a different story.

Archived