Gibson Brands Forums

Help me with a dent on my headstock

Miriel Orella

How "handy" are you at woodworking? If you are, it's a pretty simple fix. If not, take it to a qualified Luthier,

and have him, or her, do it, for you. Shouldn't be too costly.

Some same/similar colored wood putty, matching paint, and matte black paint, for the front, should fix it up.

Some careful, and light sanding to smooth things out, then a good polish, and you should be "good as new!"

But, again, if you're not comfortable doing that work yourself, have a pro do it!

Cheers, and Good Luck!!

CB

How "handy" are you at woodworking? If you are, it's a pretty simple fix. If not, take it to a qualified Luthier,

and have him, or her, do it, for you. Shouldn't be too costly.

Some same/similar colored wood putty, matching paint, and matte black paint, for the front, should fix it up.

Some careful, and light sanding to smooth things out, then a good polish, and you should be "good as new!"

But, again, if you're not comfortable doing that work yourself, have a pro do it!

Cheers, and Good Luck!!

CB

Glad to read that! I was expecting a 'Nope, you can't fix it' but that's good to hear. I really love this guitar and was really sad.

I'm not a wood person, I'm taking it to my luthier!

Thanks!

Sorry for my bad English.

Glad to read that! I was expecting a 'Nope, you can't fix it' but that's good to hear. I really love this guitar and was really sad.

Thanks!

My first response would be along the lines of CB - take it to a good repair guy. The other option? It's "mojo" and leave it be. Your choice.

Thanks!

Your English is fine...Glad to have you join us, Miriel! Stick around, there are lots of great folks, here, from

all over the world, with great information, and a helpful and friendly attitude!

Cheers, and Good Luck, with the head stock repair! [thumbup]

CB

My suggestion? Leave it alone. And just play it.

It doesn't affect the sound of the guitar.

I know you may not like the way it looks. But think about this. You bring it home from the Luthier's after the repair, and 4 days later you drop it again. Or your buddy drops it. Or you hit it against a wall....or...

Are you going to go back and get it fixed every time?

I have a few guitars, and some are in perfect, mint condition, and some have dents and scratches all over them.

I love them all the same. I see the imperfections as just "character". [biggrin]

But, hey, it's your guitar. Do what you want. [thumbup]

Like Charlie brown says, it's a pretty easy fix...wood putty, some shaping with sandpaper a little paint for the front and a 'stain stick' to match the finish..good ones are made by Minwax company. Reasonably priced and you could use it over again for any little nicks you might get in the future.

If you dont want to do the repair, just color in the boo-boo with the stain stick so it doesn't stick out so prominently.

Or you can just leave it as a memorable 'mojo' battle scar as someone mentioned...Giving that 'relic' look.Good Luck....and BTW your English is just fine.

Luke

Like Charlie brown says, it's a pretty easy fix...wood putty, some shaping with sandpaper a little paint for the front and a 'stain stick' to match the finish..good ones are made by Minwax company. Reasonably priced and you could use it over again for any little nicks you might get in the future.

If you dont want to do the repair, just color in the boo-boo with the stain stick so it doesn't stick out so prominently.

Or you can just leave it as a memorable 'mojo' battle scar as someone mentioned...Giving that 'relic' look.Good Luck....and BTW your English is just fine.

Luke

After a lot of consideration, I came to the conclusion to let this battle scar be :) ...Thanks a lot for your comments and advices! Maybe you're rigth, if you think about it, it looks cool, and it's a reminder of a great gig!

Regards.

Archived