Gibson Brands Forums

Gimme Three Steps-Lynyrd Skynyrd

4Hayden

Hello!

Great song, again!

I could never learn to play this song. It`s rhythm is really difficult for me. :D

Cheers... Bence

Forgive me if you're joking and I didn't get the sarcasm, but I play that song and I'm a hack wanna-be... I'm sure you can do it! If I can pull it off anyone can... I suspect that was sarcasm...

It's all good!

Having said that; I don't have the exact riff of the rhythm comping down. But in a gig setting it didn't matter. The project I was a part of had a 2nd guitar and we complimented each other pretty well. The parts of it I was lacking he would seem to gravitate-to and vise-versa...

It was always an audience favorite and seemed to kill at gigs without fail. In between Rory Gallagher's "I wonder who," Clapton's "Crossroads," and Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode," we'd often throw in "Gimme 3 Steps" and "They Call Me The Breeze." It was a really fun set lineup we had goin'-on for a bit and we also did "Needle And Spoon" and the Skynyrd stuff was always very appreciated by the audience and even though we probably never hit the song exact, being it's a cover of 3 fantastic guitarists, we did pretty good with our project and the people really seemed to like it...

The chord progression is the easy part, the chords are simple and straight-forward, it's the comping rhythm style that is the difficult part and maintaining that comping rhything thru all the changes that can be a little challenging. Where I'd fall off the band-wagon, by 2nd guitarist would ievitably be right on it and allow me to jump back on without a hitch... We pulled it off and never got a complaint or even a luke-warm reception, it always went over well...

Fun fun song to play at gigs!!!

I Let him (demanded actually as I knew I couldn't do it justice) take the solos/leads on that song while I maintained the chord progression and comped the rhythm the best I could. Under his picking you couldn't tell my rhythm comping was pulling off all the right nuances. I just didn't have a feel for soloing on that one as it leans a touch country (almost like a B-Bender) and his Strat twang had a better connection to it than my Les Paul did. I really don't recall the details of the song from Skynyrd's standpoint and if it was Rossington, Collins, or Gaines on the Strat that handled most of the lead picking for that, but my mind tells me the Gaines thing fits and that's how it seemed to fall together for us...

Hello Jimi!

No, it wasn't a sarcasm at all. I am really bad at rhythm. I am kind of a untalented guy who can play leads and fills, but completely uncapable of doing rhythm duties. :(

The song itself: You may say, it's simple, but - I find - it's the simple things that are really hard to recapture. If it's just slightly out of pace, it will sound awful. And this song is all about the rhythm. I prefer to play instrumentals with free timing.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Jimi!

No, it wasn't a sarcasm at all. I am really bad at rhythm. I am kind of a untalented guy who can play leads and fills, but completely uncapable of doing rhythm duties. :(

The song itself: You may say, it's simple, but - I find - it's the simple things that are really hard to recapture. If it's just slightly out of pace, it will sound awful. And this song is all about the rhythm. I prefer to play instrumentals with free timing.

Cheers... Bence

I think as musicians; we're harder on ourselves than anyone else. If you are playing a pub/club gig, especially covers, no one there is ignorant enough to think you're the real Lynyrd Skynyrd, or the originators of any cover song for that matter, and they are there to have a good time, so giving them a taste of what they want/like is usually good enough and it causes them to celebrate and revel in their own sentimentality of the original. You don't have to be perfect, beyond that sometimes being a too perfect facsimile causes angst in an audience making them think you're competing with their heroes a little too much...

They are there to have fun and enjoy themselves and if you go up and enjoy yourself the perfection of the cover is nearly meaningless. There is alot of latitude to be found in playing covers. A reasonably accurate representation is all that is necessary. As long as it's recognizable as the song, you're gonna do OK.

I think if you give yourself some larger margin for acceptance and error you'll find you can pull it off just fine. I can't read rhythm signature, (or music at all for that matter, I play by ear) I have to get a feel for the song. So I generally copy tabs just to see what chords and where the changes are. I then play a copy of the song thru my iPod and start playing to it to get the changes down, in the right places, since I can't read music I begin to identify where in the page we are by the chord changes I hear, and get a feel for a generalized or paraphrasing (so to speak) sense of the rhythm. Trust me, beyond a 12-bar blues I'm very weak at rhythm and my chord vocabulary is desperately limited...

And I pull it off successfully... Give yourself a more permissive leeway and I think you'd do fine with it!

I have no feel for Reggae and even some pretty basic rock rhythms, but I'll comp chords the best I can, and as long as there is another guitar you'll find you generally compliment each other and cover ground the other misses. It'll work-out. You have to have some faith and trust and do it because you enjoy it and have fun yourself and the audience will respond to that...

Hook up with another guitarist and work on doing slightly different portions of "the little things," the "flourishes" in the song, don't forget Skynyrd had 3 guitars and there's alot of different signature stuff going on, you don't have to try to do it all yourself, and frankly you can't. Get the bit of it that fits you and your playing best/easiest and let another guitar get other parts, when you mix it together you'll be surprised how good it sounds...

Like I said, I'm a hack/wannabe, seriously, and I can pull it off... If I can do it, anyone can! For real!

My only claims to anything I do well is a Boogie, Shuffle, or 12-Bar of any kind, outside of that/my comfort-zone, I struggle, but I go for it and I'm usually pleasantly surprised at how well in a group/band setting I can help pull something off...

Some of the projects I'm in do alot of spur-of-the-moment/improvised songs and I've been surprised with being called to play things like; The Eagles "Hotel California," and Pink Floyd's "Another Brick inThe Wall," among other outrageously difficult guitar songs, (having never played them before and having to rely upon memory and ear) and between all of us we are able to pull it off pretty damn well. If you develop a strong rapport with your drummer and other guitarist in an intuitive way and anticipate each other well, you can do anything!

It becomes rewarding and fun and that's what the audience connects with.

Archived