Gibson Brands Forums

New amp for my Les Paul Pro Plus

DHop

Looking to get a new amp. Currently have a small Line VI Spider. Have some experience with fender but that was awhile ago. Been mostly acoustic till I picked up the Epi. Was wondering what others are using. Small gigs are all that I would do, don't need a beast.

Thanks

Fender Mustang III V2, 100 watt version...if you don't mind using a computer to control it. As is, it's not a real "beast", but, it can be with the addition of 2 extra speakers, and the associated 2 and 4 button foot switches and expression pedal...A Marshall is the standard LP amp I would venture to guess...The 40 watt version of the M3V2 is pretty nice also...

If looking for a really awesome tube amp, be sure to look at Egnater .... especially the 2 channel Rebel 30 or 20 Mark II.

The 30 is the bigger brother to the 20 and has reverb and a silent recording via a rear XLR connector.

Both have a dual power sections that use both 6V6 tubes (like a US amps, for typical US sound) 'and' EL84 tubes (like used in many Britt amps) for the typical Britt sound, with a blend knob so you can run either power section, or a variable blend of both ..... in a single amplifier!

They also have a power knob that will allow you to select 1 to 20/30 watts, and a host of other cool features.

Either can be had as a combo or a head and cab. The cabs allow for a selection that is a single 12" that's ported, or if going to their 212X ... has both open or closed back capabilities.

See: Egnater Rebel

I just received my new Egnater Tourmaster 4100 and the TM412A cab, but did play the Rebel 30 and it was honestly really tough for me to justify the Tourmaster after playing the 30.

If looking for a really good modeling amp, look at the Fender Mustang III or above.

If you go that route be sure to go to youtube and search "Mustang Monday" then download the link for each of 10 different tube presets that are really 'very' good at mimicking different Fender black and silver face era, and modern tube amps.

I have these for my Mustang V half stack, and they are really well done .... much better than any other tube amp emulation presets on FUSE.

Also check this out .....

Although trying to compare amps via youtube is not typically a good way to do it, these are done under the same conditions at the same time and are at least a somewhat apples to apples comparisons ..... and you may just be surprised.

Test ...

Results ...

And ....

Test ....

Results ....

If feeling a bit thrifty, adventurous, and willing to do some searching ... try to find a used Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty or G-DEC 3 Fifteen.

They are both one of Fenders GDEC series amps that were the predecessors to the Mustangs.

BUT ..... the G-DEC 3 Thirty/Fifteen have something very special that the Mustangs don't.

And that's the built in looper overdubbing ability, and an SD card slot that you can either buy, or create yourself, or download ... 1000's of free backing tracks, and then use them in the amp to accompany you while you play.

Unlike the other G-DEC series amps, the G-DEC 3 Thirty/Fifteen actually play real recorded backing tracks made by real musicians, and not just quasi-funky midi manufactured backing tracks.

You can find different versions of these amps (standard, blues, country or metal) in good shape for well under $200, and by using the Fender FUSE site, you can reconfigure any of them to be any version you like, share backing tracks and do a lot of other stuff, like the Mustangs.

Also the Line 6 Spider Jam modeler is worth looking at, but I have no hands on with it.

Happy hunting!!

What's your budget going to allow you to pay?

What price range are you looking at?

This is really important to know because there are so many amps out there that range from $200 to thousands of dollars.

I don't want to recommend something out of your price range.

Also, are you looking to buy a combo amp? Or would you prefer an amp head and a speaker cab?

Important stuff to know. [thumbup]

Thanks everyone for responding. Great info. To answer Brad1, my budget goes up to about $350. Don't spend too much time in the 'dirty zone'. Blues, Classic Rock and some jazz. Play a lot of older stuff, 60s, 70s, and 80s. Like a really good clean tone, reverb and chorus.

Thanks again for the info!

Thanks everyone for responding. Great info. To answer Brad1, my budget goes up to about $350. Don't spend too much time in the 'dirty zone'. Blues, Classic Rock and some jazz. Play a lot of older stuff, 60s, 70s, and 80s. Like a really good clean tone, reverb and chorus.

Thanks again for the info!

I would look around for a used Fender Blues Jr. or just save a little more and get a new one (I think they're a little over 500 new). personally, I would rather have a couple of pedals that do what I need in front of a good tube amp rather than a bunch of built in digital fx.

Sounds like you might want a tube amp or a really good modeler.

Already addressed the Fender Mustangs in my previeous post, but you also might want to go to Reverb.com and search "tube amp" and then set the sort critera to your budget plus a bit more (you can always make offers) and see what comes up as possibles for you to go and try out at a local music shop before you make a final descision.

You might also want to enter Fender Mustang and do the same sort, just to see what decent used ones are going for, then try them out too ... especially if your local shop will allow you to load a few of the YouTube Mustang Monday presets via FUSE.

That might be/probably will be a bit too much for them to allow, and the gymnastics of doing it will be a bit cumbersome, but it 'would' allow you to test drive a Mustang with IMHO: the best tube presets out there.

Also, don't pass up on trying to get some time on a G-DEC 3 Thirty.

Just like the Mustangs, they have built in FXs and a whole lot of other features (and can use the Mustang's 4 button foot switch) but for a venue like a larger wedding or medium sized club of 100 people or so, you might need to mic it through a PA, to stay above the mix.

It does have a 10" speaker and can be pretty loud but it's not going to emulate a tube amp as well as the Mustang III and up do.

But yeah .....do check out Reverb.com to see if you can't streach you dollars .... both before and after you get to try some amps out at your local shop.

Thanks Flyer91. Great info. I'm checking out the mustang and Marshall this weekend at my local GV....40 miles away! Will see what they have. On my way to Reverb.com now.

Thanks much!

Archived