Gibson Brands Forums

Are small body Gibsons losing favor in the forum?

onewilyfool

This one's for sale locally on CL.

I went and checked it out and would not recommend it to any one.

Priced too high and way too many issues, but it does look nice.

00X0X_aCPbVVGQAz_600x450.jpg

I would have thought $1850 was not bad if it's in good condition, is that a Koa top.

Tom, can you tell me why the carved L-2's are so much less expensive than the flat tops of a few years later. Mine is a 1923, and I think by 1926 they had gone to flat tops. In the used market the '26's are MUCH more expensive than the '23's???? I've played some of those early flat tops, and I much prefer the sound of my little arch top!!! Can you post some sound sample of your L-2 arch tops and L-2 flat tops??? Thanks

The market does what it does -- don't expect it to be rational.

We have a couple of L-1s -- 1918 and 1926 -- that are pretty much the same guitar except for the top. I'll post a sound comparison when I get home later today or tomorrow. Here they are together.

26l11.jpg

Best,

-Tom

I have one of the early flat top L1s, and have owned a couple of the archtop version. I found the archtops to be caught between sounds, a bit of parlourish boxiness but harsh sounding even compared to a ladder braced parlour, yet without the power and projection of a typical large bodied archtop. I've played quite a few of the archtops besides the two I owned - a local dealer is fond of them and buys them whenever he sees them - and no two appear to be the same, so no doubt there are exceptional ones out there. The flat tops have their own unique sound too which isn't for everyone.

I have one of the early flat top L1s, and have owned a couple of the archtop version. I found the archtops to be caught between sounds, a bit of parlourish boxiness but harsh sounding even compared to a ladder braced parlour, yet without the power and projection of a typical large bodied archtop. I've played quite a few of the archtops besides the two I owned - a local dealer is fond of them and buys them whenever he sees them - and no two appear to be the same, so no doubt there are exceptional ones out there. The flat tops have their own unique sound too which isn't for everyone.

Yeah….You definitely have to play those little arch tops differently than the flat tops to get the best sound….

Yeah….You definitely have to play those little arch tops differently than the flat tops to get the best sound….

I rather like guitars that require a bit of thought - it's a good exercise to work out how to get the best out of an instrument. At the end of the day though the flat top L1 works great for the type of music I wanted to make on it, and the archtops didn't really suit what I was doing.

Archived