Gibson Brands Forums

Are small body Gibsons losing favor in the forum?

onewilyfool

Blame it on the Collings Waterloo. Round here at the only place that sells Collings, those Waterloos are sold before they even get hung on a wall. Call it blasphemy but if I was in the market for new guitar I would likely go for the Waterloo over the current incarnations of the Gibson LG-2. If I was better heeled it might be a guitar built by How, Hauver or Cambrio.

But I am a mutinous dog because with me it is the same thing with vintage guitars. The Gibson L-00 was my favorite (of those I could reasonably afford) for decades. But when I decided I had suffered long enough and decided to replace my long lost and much missed L-00, I ended up with the 00 size Kay Kraft-built Oahu "Nick Lucas." Does not mean there is not another L-00 in my future but there was no way around it, I liked the feel (wider nut and string spread at the bridge) and the sound of the Oahu better.

On the other hand, there is not a force great enough to make me part with my 1942 Gibson J-50.

Jayyj, those are beauties! I've never come across a guitar with more attitude than my L-1... I'll probably always favor it. Then again, I am one of the Jumbo NGD culprits. Other guitars just seem like they're missing something after playing the 45...

I think that once "volume" became an in-thing, they're something a lotta folks will "prefer" because so many others have that size. The smaller instruments need to be amped one way or another for almost any but a truly "parlor" performance nowadays.

In a sense that's also why all my flattops are AE since the first real AE arrived with Ovations in the early '70s.

OTOH, I find the bigger bodies rather contrary to my own physical geometry and find them harder to play with my best technique. So... except for the occasional need to do flatpick strumming... I'll stick to smaller bodies.

But we've also gotta figure that for many here, it's a matter of "I get better tone from the big box." But they're thinking a different sort of tone and, IMHO, in general a different technique and concept entirely.

m

I think it's because Gibson doesn't offer as many right now. the RJ and Blues King were both discontinued. Gibson did a run of L-00TV at the end of last year. We sold several. none of them lasted more than 2 days. But there aren't many options out there regularly.

-Keith

Jayyj, those are beauties! I've never come across a guitar with more attitude than my L-1... I'll probably always favor it. Then again, I am one of the Jumbo NGD culprits. Other guitars just seem like they're missing something after playing the 45...

Thank you!

My L1 is definitely my favourite Gibson - I love the H bracing for fingerstyle, it gives the quick attack of ladder bracing but with a lot more sweetness and refinement. Hit it with a plectrum and it sounds pretty horrible, but for my purposes it works great. The tenor is a very early X braced one, and easily my favourite sounding tenor I've come across.

NGD's lately are all Jumbos…………..Are small body Gibsons losing favor in the forum? I can't remember the last time I saw a post like, "NGD, Robert Johnson!!!"

I know what cha' mean................the NGD's are mostly J series!:-k

I still love my LG-3, LG-1 and LG-0 (I guess that's what it is). So I'm not in the market for anything else. If I unload a couple guitars, I might finally get a new J-45, especially if I find a sweet Iced Tea one with the 1-11/16" nut. Then I might unload my Martin M36 and either try their D15M or go crazy for a D35.

Or I might end up with another Hummingbird. It depends on the day, week and year. Right now we're so frozen in the NE that I have zero plans to go anywhere until temperatures stay above freezing for two days straight.

Sweetwater had not one, but four hog topped LG2s a month back. I was almost there. I called and negotiated the price down, but in the end I didn't want to spend $2200-2300. I bought my LG2AE for half that used.

I have heard only the wildest praises for the hog top. It was hard to lay off.the Waterloo does well because of price I think? Perhaps gibson should have a burst version.

Is the American Eagle the only small body guitar Gibson makes at this point??

They are doing the LG-2 AE ($1749), Keb Mo ($2499), 1928 L-1 Blues Tribute ($3299), and 1932 L-00 Reissue ($4999). Then whatever limited runs pop up.

Keith

To answer your question there is the old law of supply and demand and in the case of small body this is strange. I wanted a CJ165 but only found one in UK. I went to see it loved it but messed around and it was sold. Still couldn't get one so ordered from USA. In the five years I've owned the guitar I've never seen one for sale either dealer or E Bay.

To answer your question there is the old law of supply and demand and in the case of small body this is strange. I wanted a CJ165 but only found one in UK. I went to see it loved it but messed around and it was sold. Still couldn't get one so ordered from USA. In the five years I've owned the guitar I've never seen one for sale either dealer or E Bay.

This one's for sale locally on CL.

I went and checked it out and would not recommend it to any one.

Priced too high and way too many issues, but it does look nice.

00X0X_aCPbVVGQAz_600x450.jpg

Tom, can you tell me why the carved L-2's are so much less expensive than the flat tops of a few years later. Mine is a 1923, and I think by 1926 they had gone to flat tops. In the used market the '26's are MUCH more expensive than the '23's???? I've played some of those early flat tops, and I much prefer the sound of my little arch top!!! Can you post some sound sample of your L-2 arch tops and L-2 flat tops??? Thanks

Archived