Gibson Brands Forums

The Doors: Live at the Hollywood Bowl

SteveFord

I love the doors and own that concert on VHS...

I suppose I ought to eventually replace it with a DVD since I'm not even sure if my VCR still works... [blush]

I've been a huge Doors fan and especially a fan of Robby Krieger's guitarring since High School!

They were a huge part of my informative/adolescent/yearning years...

While we each have our own subjective discriminating taste and all have the right to our own opinions...

Remind me again why it is that I don't dive right in on yer posts and drop a big deuce right on Frank Zappa's head, or the subject of any of your celebrations outside of yer avatar, because I think he sux ball sax not only as a person but the totality of his career as a musician is so beyond excrement that I wonder why folks didn't paint @sshole on his forehead in fresh turd...

But hey to each his own I guess...

If U wanna testify to yer own ignorance by blatantly overlooking the fact that the musicianship within The Doors despite Morrison's rock-star appeal; that I've been told in here is simply an expression of the times by those such as yerself and how my own distaste for the drug culture is merely a product of my own closed-mind, (uh-huh, whateva) was trend-setting and on a level of phenom that most bands only wish they could achieve... Not to mention frankly (no pun intended) eluded Mr. Zappa and left an ugly chip on his shoulder...

From John Densmore's minimalist kit that he squeezed so much creativity and expression from within while holding down classic drum disciplines and encompassing everything from jazz to Latin genres and Bossa-nova beat rhythms to African and Indian experiments in Zen movements and arrangements...

That annoying organ was the mystical magical work of Ray Manzarek who held down the entire bass duties with one hand on a bass organ placed atop his keyboards and played all the organ and keys one-handed (with the other hand) with the foot pedal controls at the same time and he sang along and once Morrison finally vapor-locked hisself he actually pulled down the vocal duties in the band along with his playing...

It was a new and popular thing to have an organ in rock bands at the time it was a significant sign of the times and nearly everyone was doing it from Jon Lord w/Deep Purple, The Allman Brothers, to Jefferson Airplane and everyone big back in that day and everyone did it because they liked it at the time and it fit within the spirit of the music expression...

Then add the disciplined guitar work of a Flamenco master that was actually teaching Flamenco guitar at a college level when the band met/formed and he incorporated that sublime finger-picking technique into his blues laden rock guitar work and weaved such mesmerizing Arabian Nights feel and spirit into his "Light My Fire" solo traveling far outside the confines of the normal average dullard rock guitar drivel being hocked at the time adding nuances and flourish with fills and detail that nobody else was doing in guitar work at the time... Oh, let's also not forget that Robby Krieger also penned over half of all The Doors greatest hits and was easily as lyrically and music writing talented as Morrison was...

I happened to have liked Morrison's voice and thought he could hold a note quite well with a naturally paternally masculine voice that drew people to him in droves like no other at the time and filled that void in young adolescent yearning that needed a voice to focus on like a beacon in the fog to keep us off the rocks of his own tragic demise...

I think not only their success commercially in their boom, but the eternal longevity speaks for itself...

forgive me if I think your style sux!

I think folks that like to sijmply walk in an' piss all over peoples reverent appreciation and celebration for no reason other than their own self-absorbed self-servitude are not worthy of such shared communion...

But hey, I guess it's my free right to voice that anytime and anywhere too huh...

Folks with such proclivities oughtta think B4 they post!

I get he was a terrible role model, I get that he was self-serving, I get that he gave as much valuelessness as he did value often times, but it doesn't mean he or the bigger picture; The Doors, were without merits and value or that one has to run around boiling-over with either their own vitriolic nature or expressing there own self-aggrandizement every chance they get just to rain on peoples parades out of the lousy nature they embody...

I have utter abhorrence for his lifestyle that caused his premature death, like so many... But I appreciate the good he did have from the bigger picture. Just like Danny Kirwan, Peter Green, Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman and all those that have done such great things only to squander it all away with some self-imposed self-fulfilling prophecy with their preventable and predictable demise...

The rest of the band was still so packed with unimaginable musicianship talents that they transcended to sum of the parts by coming together...

Deny it all U want, but that don't make it so...

God Bless The Doors!

Good day...

Having said that I wholly agree with you on Nirvana... [wink]

The Doors were the greatest rock band this country has ever produced as far as I'm concerned. They had it all but somebody liked his booze and drugs way too much for his own good.

What they're doing on the site I posted a link to is offering one entire concert, for free, per week in an effort to get to you subscribe. I've heard their stuff so often that I seldom listen to it any longer - kind of like The Beatles.

I really liked the sound of Robbie's Les Paul on the slide work.

I did watch Good Ol' Freda last night, speaking of The Beatles. It was fab.

Jimi Mac, i'd like to thank you for the beautifull word's about The Doors.

It is one of those band's that sticked with me since I discovered them.

Never get tired of them.

That those guy's came together to form a band,

is like one of those beautyfull constellation's in the sky that happen's only once in thousand years.

Pure f***ing magig, if you ask me.

Along with U2 and Nirvana, I think they are one of the most over rated bands on the planet. Jim Morrison was elevated to legend status for being a stoned drunk turd. They do have a few good songs like, LA Woman and Riders On The Storm. A rock band with no bassist and an annoying Hammond organ, great combo. If I never hear Light My Fire again it wont me too soon.

lol. yep, we've gotta have a couple beers sometime. I'll give you a holler when I'm heading down to Hampton Roads / Nerwport News this summer.

Sounds like a plan. I live about 20 minuets from Langley AFB and about 45 minuets to an hour(depending on traffic) away form CG. If you like micro brews there is one in Williamsburg called Williamsburg Alewerks. I get growlers filled there when I know I am heading up that way. I finally got back form Boston on Friday, and bought a '00 SG Special yesterday to treat myself to something nice for working tons of OT.

The SG Specials are great. I love mine. We'll be in the Langely AFB area as well. thats where my daughter has moved... I'll give you a heads up when we're heading down.

Archived