Gibson Brands Forums

FOR GIBSON CUSTOMER RELATIONS (SG requests from LOYAL Gibson Owners)

hbomb76

Hey guys sorry about the absence!!! well the poll is coming on nicely. i whole hartedly agree that gibson have been cutting corners' date=' they are basically just letting the name sell it!! they should take their fingers outta their butts and start making some kickass rocking sg's like they used to!

SG dude.[/quote']

+1,000,000

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont about that. Those things dont have enough power to put in an SG.

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They%5Fre%20Made%20%281%29/

well since the Custom Shop SG Standard Reissue VOS has BB 1 & 2, no reason BB Pros couldn't be used as their outputs are similar

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Standard-Reissue-VOS/Features.aspx

This guy was there tinkering with setting up some Black Beauty (I can't say it was "set up" because it still played like crap)' date=' wearing an official Gibson Custom outer shirt. Let me stray for a moment and say the first thing I noticed about the LP was the headstock inlays were such that you could stick a fingernail under the edge and pull them off. Not just a little laquer checking, but a full-on separation. On a NEW $3000+ GUITAR. Uncool, Gibson.

Because THEY are not doing their job properly!

Then he really opened a can of worms when he started slamming any guitar with a Maestro tailpiece. "They're all sh!t" he said.

Because THEY are not doing their job properly when it comes to nut and saddle slots!

I hate snobs when it comes to brands and labels, you all know that.H-Bomb[/quote']

+1

Cool story!

Greetings

Kurt

This guy was there tinkering with setting up some Black Beauty (I can't say it was "set up" because it still played like crap)' date=' wearing an official Gibson Custom outer shirt. Let me stray for a moment and say the first thing I noticed about the LP was the headstock inlays were such that you could stick a fingernail under the edge and pull them off. Not just a little laquer checking, but a full-on separation. On a NEW $3000+ GUITAR. Uncool, Gibson.H-Bomb[/quote']

Because they are not doing their job properly!

Then he really opened a can of worms when he started slamming any guitar with a Maestro tailpiece. "They're all sh!t" he said.H-Bomb

If they really are sh!t' date=' it´s because they are not doing their job properly when it comes to the nut and saddle slots!

I hate snobs when it comes to brands and labels, you all know that.

H-Bomb

+1

Cool story!

Thanks for sharing.

Greetings

Kurt

well since the Custom Shop SG Standard Reissue VOS has BB 1 & 2' date=' no reason BB Pros couldn't be used as their outputs are similar[/quote']

I have BB Pros in my Historic, and they're about the same as a '57 Classic, but maybe a little more "chimey" and better low-end. Overall not bad actually (although they SHOULD make a BB Pro "3").

I want to see a '63-'65 SG Standard. Similar to the '99 '61 Reissues with the vibrato tailpiece. But' date=' I want the correct horns. It would HAVE to be made as a USA Reissue. As a gigging musician there's no way I'd willing to spend Custom Shop/VOS price ranges.[/quote']

With VERY MINOR tweaks those '99/2000 style bevels (along with the then-new tapered horns) would be just fine for a "close enough" compromise for a "65 Reissue". Basically do like they do with the Angus model, which is essentially body-wise a USA Standard but a tad bit of "softening" to the tips of the horns. Bring back the deeper, fuller bevels (or just throw the Historic bevel-specs on the tapered-horn '61 body!), give it a Maestro option and a nice deep red paintjob without skimping on pore-filler and without watering down the already-too-thin coats, and there you go! I also agree that while I wouldn't necessarily love it, I would whip out the Mastercard for a TRULY ACCURATE Historic NON-VOS "as new" SG Standard, but there's no excuse why they couldn't make it a USA model instead as the '61 RI w/Vibrola was a few years back. NO EXCUSE.

+1

Cool story!

Thanks for sharing.

Greetings

Kurt

No problem, bro. I hoped some of you would find it at least somewhat entertaining. :P

H-Bomb

I want a "Gibson SG Jr." just like the 1991 reissues...

1) Heritage Cherry

2) Chrome Tune-O-Matic Bridge with Stopbar Tailpiece

3) Black Pickguard

4) A single Hot P-90 (Bridge)

Now if you were to do this at an MSRP of around $ 800…I’d buy 2 for the road right now!!!

I just want more SG's period! I'm sick of gibson cutting the SG line to release YET ANOTHER LES PAUL!!!!

:) =P~[-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-(

O MY GOD I KNOW ITS SO ANNOYING...THANK YOU FOR NOTICING...i cant stand that gibson keeps doing that

I want a "Gibson SG Jr." just like the 1991 reissues...

1) Heritage Cherry

2) Chrome Tune-O-Matic Bridge with Stopbar Tailpiece

3) Black Pickguard

4) A single Hot P-90 (Bridge)

Now if you were to do this at an MSRP of around $ 800…I’d buy 2 for the road right now!!!

here you could check ebay out...but u would have to pay a "little" more than $800 and by a little more i mean like 6000$ more

an SG Axcess would be cool...

much like what Tony is holding... note the locking nut, and Floyd Rose style trem...

Tony-Iommi_3.jpg

nut and trem look almost exactly like what's on the LP Axcess...

axcess-iced-tea-lg.jpg

perhaps what Tony is holding is a prototype of something Gibson is actually considering.... O:)

I would love to see the return of the '61 reisssue with maestro as well as an '63 SG Jr. with the batwing guard and a '64 SG Special like the GOW last year. I missed out on the GOW SG Special with the p-90's and now that the classic is gone I think it would be a nice addition to the family.

even if gibson aren't going to give us the '68 (sorry guys, thats the one i want, but hear me out) they should offer the current standard with the long vibrola and maybe a pickup upgrade. that would be kickass AND that still leaves room for you guys to choose a new VOS!! (see i told ya!!)

even if gibson aren't going to give us the '68 (sorry guys' date=' thats the one i want, but hear me out) they should offer the current standard with the long vibrola and maybe a pickup upgrade. that would be kickass AND that still leaves room for you guys to choose a new VOS!! (see i told ya!!) [/quote']

I've said for over a decade that Gibson SHOULD offer the Maestro tailpiece option on the USA '61 Reissue AND the USA large-pickguard Standard, which would both be those "good enough if the finish doesn't suck" compromises for most of us. If they made both of those in the right colors (deep cherry on both, Pelham Blue option on the '61 and natural walnut option on the late-Standard), with the right pickups ('57 classic neck/'57 classic-plus bridge) and tweaked the body bevels/tapers oh-so-slightly, for all I care they could just up the price on them a couple hundred bucks and forego the historically-INaccurate "Historic"/"VOS" models altogether. The only Historics they're REALLY putting any REAL soul into nowadays are the top-of-the-line LP's anyway, so quit beating around the bush and just kill off the rest and start making the USA stuff not suck! To keep costs down just put chrome hardware on both (it's more durable and makes for a perfect "65" and "69" reissue respectively) and slap the slim taper neck on them both too. That cuts down on a couple of manufacturing steps and whatnot. The stoptail versions could still be out there of course, along with the Special, etc. I like that idea though, and again, it'd be "good enough" provided they stop cheatin' us out of pore-filler and laquer!

H-Bomb

I just want more SG's period! I'm sick of gibson cutting the SG line to release YET ANOTHER LES PAUL!!!!

:D :- :- =P~ =P~ =P~:-k[-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-(

hey dude... i'd be quite content for Gibson to never again make hideous SGs like the Supreme, SG GT, SG Deluxe or SG 90,.... the line up is fine as is, but i do agree they should bring back the Classic and/or Historic Special with P90s... and also maybe add something along the lines of an SG Axcess, and a BFG-style SG (unfinished look, P90 neck, BB bridge pickups)... but let's hope Gibson has ceased the ridiculous circus looking pieces for the SG line... it's a disgrace frankly...

I don't get the $4500 price. There's less wood. Easier to make. Drop the price!!!

Amen, the SG's have the least wood of the majority of Gibsons (V, Explorer, LP, etc), the only exceptions being what, the Melody Makers? So I agree, it should cost a good chunk less than its more "voluptuous" siblings. :-&

H-Bomb

Here's my rant...

My biggest fear is that Gibson is just about to price themselves out of the market to all but the wealthiest collectors'.

Example, my 2007 SG Special faded, $579.00...2009 SG Special Faded, $899.00...WTF!!! That's $100.00 less than the 2008 SG Classic (no longer available, sigh) I just bought for $999.00 on 12/31/08. The list goes on and on just in SG models alone...

All the while they keep bringing out limited run stuff like Jeff Beck oxblood Les Pauls, Peter Green '58 Les Pauls, and that gawdawfully ridiculous looking swiss cheese GOTW Explorer, for the "I can't play it, but I'll hang it on a wall and make a fortune on it one day!" crowd (yeah right, keep dreaming LOL), not that I'd want any of those guitars in the first place.

If Gibson trying to trying to force the rest of us to buy Chinese Epi copies of the guitars we love, then I think I'll pass.

Maybe in these bad economic times Gibson should focus on making their "meat & potatoes" models as high quality and as affordable as they can for us working folks.

On eBay I just found an auction where someone took a picture of a '96 SG '61 from the right angle which proves what I've been saying for almost 9 years: that the Historic SG's resemble the mid-90's '61 Reissues more than they do the original 60's models. Check it out:

aae4_3.JPG

Notice it has deeper beveling than the current '61 Reissues have, and notice the horns have almost no thickness tapered-off from them at the tips like they're supposed to have (which they corrected in July '99). So our "historically correct" or "vintage original spec" guitars are based on the previous series of obsolete reissues and not the original ones???

In my opinion, the 90's ones didn't suck, I owned one, and I loved that they had by '96 improved the beveling (which DID suck from '92-95), and had they kept that type of beveling exactly as-is when they reintroduced the tapers on the horns, they could've left it at that and never changed a thing (aside from the Maestro option) and it'd be a more accurate REISSUE than anything out there. I really don't understand their way of thinking sometimes.

O:)

H-Bomb

Good comments from all, so I'll just add that whatever pre-fininsing step that's being left out that causes the dips & waves in the SG's finish needs to be added back in. In the right light my new SG looks like it was painted by a high school auto body shop, but the issue isn't really the lacquer application, it's wood sinkage. Never saw this on the original guitars, heck, not even on the worst of the Norlins. In fact, a Wal-Mart copy wouldn't look like this. Not acceptable in a quality instrument, Henry. Look at the finish on the front of the pictured '96 and you'll see what I mean. Bollocks!

Archived