Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic String Prices

bigdaddyweed

I was looking for Gibson Masterbuilt strings for my J45 on Ebay. The .012 - .052 sets were around $6 a set, but the .013 - .056 were around $10 a set. Is this a supply and demand thing? Am I missing something? Or, what's the best place to buy these, with good service and and competetive prices? I haven't found any local dealers in my area that are carrying them.

Thanks................weedman

Sometimes cheap strings are old stock. If they are D'Addario or another brand that comes sealed in plastic this isn't such a bad situation, but strings that are packed in paper can be pretty stale if they have been laying around someone's store for two years.

Sometimes companies sell their seconds in other countries. You can tell if the strings were made for your market by the languages used on the packaging. Ask your eBay seller about this as well.

I like buying my strings from a bricks and mortar store. If I get a dead set or two I can go back and talk to them about it. I figure my guitars are worth a lot of money, enough that I shouldn't be trying too hard to save $2 on a pack of strings.

Strings seem to last me forever so I've never paid much attention to price. I do put in an order at juststrings.com once in a while, maybe a 10 pack of D'Addario electrics to have on hand, or maybe a set of Thomastik flats if I happen to currently own a snotty archtop. Otherwise I just go to the pawn shop downtown... I do all his repairs cheap so I seldom pay over five bucks a set anyway.

Try paying $10 for an old fiddle and $60 for a set of strings! It just ain't right I tells ya.

FEabay?... for strings?

A friend of mine, a professional classic guitar player and teacher, gets his from http://www.stringsbymail.com/. I've never dealt with them as I find it more convenient to purchase from my local guit tar shop. He changes strings almost as often as I change underwear. I change strings... when one breaks.. been a year or more now. Price is not a big factor for me.

Archived