Gibson Brands Forums

Potential Modifications

robertscott

So after close to 2 decades of guitar playing I decided it was time to buy myself a serious guitarist's guitar. After deliberating for hours between a Martin D28 and a Gibson Hummingbird Rosewood, I chose the Hummingbird. The Martin was a phenomenal guitar but, in my opinion, suited fingerstyle better and I'm more of a strummer/flatpicker, playing mostly to accompany my singing. I realise that my life will never be complete until I own a Martin as well, but I digress...

So my question is about potential modifications. I've never owned a guitar like this before, so I've never really paid attention to things like different strings, nuts, etc.

Can someone point me in the direction of a resource that would explain the different ways I can modify my guitar and the affect the modifications will have on tone? I'm pretty much satisfied with how the bird sounds now (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it) but I'm intrigued at the idea of making it a bit more personal to my own style. I suppose if I were to really nitpick, it could use a little more bass?

Thanks guys. It's funny, I've played for years and consider myself to be a proficient guitarist, but all of a sudden I feel like a beginner again with all this! Haha.

Can you post a picture? I'm not certain I've ever seen a Rosewood bird. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

It may already have a bone nut and saddle - beyond that don't need to change anything if it sounds good now. Of course now you are going to need to try a myriad of different strings, until you fid one that blows your hair back,

Yes, what Dan said (pics please!). Hard to dig up much on the rosewood Hummingbird. I see the 50th Anniversary 'Bird was offered in rosewood and koa. "Mystic" rosewood. Is that what you've got? By the sound of your post, you were able to spend some time with both the Gibson and the Martin for an a/b. That must've been a tough comparo, and one that had as much to do with the different scale lengths of the two guitars as much as it had to do with the two particular guitars you sat with that day. Also- would not the short scale length of the Hummingbird been a better fit for fingerstyle playing? If it was the stumpwood, er, Mystic rose of the 50th Anni model, I hope it's dramatic wood selection didn't distract your attention away from a 'bird in it's more traditional mahogany form, which would be a great match for the style of playing you mentioned you mostly did.

And if you're trying to pull more bass out of it, something the Martin D-28 can do (and sometimes over-do), keep in mind it's a bit of a compromise; the shorter scale length might give more playability and be a better fit for vocals, but the longer scale length does usually propagate a better bass note. You may run into a 'bird with better bass someday, and take that one under your wing, or maybe just enjoy what you've got; when you're too busy doing that, it's shortcomings won't matter much. Congrats and enjoy.

First - Congratulations on the purchased guitar, , , and your satori regarding the acoustic instrument after some 20 years. It's bound to be very interesting for you.

Second - Yes, do send some pictures of the chosen flier. We need to know the exact model to zoom in.

Some will tell you they had more bass comin' as their guitars broke in - that counts for H-birds too. Advice is to wait between 12 and 18 months to see what happens.

Meanwhile enjoy the new sound under your hands and take the journey into Gibson territory with open senses. Don't forget to report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX6Wl5kCWUg

First - Congratulations on the purchased guitar, , , and your satori regarding the the acoustic instrument after some 20 years. It's bound to be very interesting for you.

Second - Yes, do send some pictures of the chosen flier. We need to know the exact model to zoom in.

Some will tell you they had more bass comin' as their guitars broke in - that counts for H-birds too. Advice is to wait between 12 and 18 months to see what happens.

Meanwhile enjoy the new sound under your hands and take the journey into Gibson territory with open senses. Don't forget to report.

That's one good-looking and great-sounding guitar!

Not the tonal qualities I normally associate with the 'bird. But a firm hand and a big rosewood box bring out a different type of winged creature....

thanks for the replies guys, I'll attempt a multi-quote. Wish me luck...

Can you post a picture? I'm not certain I've ever seen a Rosewood bird. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

It may already have a bone nut and saddle - beyond that don't need to change anything if it sounds good now. Of course now you are going to need to try a myriad of different strings, until you fid one that blows your hair back,

It has tusq, so I've considered bone but I dunno if it really makes such a difference? I'll post a pick when I get home. Is it cool to do it in this thread or does it have to be in the pics section?

Yes, what Dan said (pics please!). Hard to dig up much on the rosewood Hummingbird. I see the 50th Anniversary 'Bird was offered in rosewood and koa. "Mystic" rosewood. Is that what you've got? By the sound of your post, you were able to spend some time with both the Gibson and the Martin for an a/b. That must've been a tough comparo, and one that had as much to do with the different scale lengths of the two guitars as much as it had to do with the two particular guitars you sat with that day. Also- would not the short scale length of the Hummingbird been a better fit for fingerstyle playing? If it was the stumpwood, er, Mystic rose of the 50th Anni model, I hope it's dramatic wood selection didn't distract your attention away from a 'bird in it's more traditional mahogany form, which would be a great match for the style of playing you mentioned you mostly did.

And if you're trying to pull more bass out of it, something the Martin D-28 can do (and sometimes over-do), keep in mind it's a bit of a compromise; the shorter scale length might give more playability and be a better fit for vocals, but the longer scale length does usually propagate a better bass note. You may run into a 'bird with better bass someday, and take that one under your wing, or maybe just enjoy what you've got; when you're too busy doing that, it's shortcomings won't matter much. Congrats and enjoy.

Yeah, it was actually an afterthought to try it but I'm glad I did. Doesn't seem to be many around. It's not one of the 50th anniversary ones, it's from 2014. Choosing between the Gibson and the Martin was hard as hell but the Martin did overdo the bass like you mentioned, and for a heavy strummer like myself I was losing clarity. I spent so long in the shop comparing the two! Even had the dude that worked there to play them both for me over and over while I sat there with my eyes closed! Haha, he must've hated me so much.

I did try the traditional 'bird but it didn't wow me like the rosewood did.

And don't get me wrong, a tad more bass would be nice but I'm still 99.999999% satisfied with my choice! It's a seriously incredible guitar.

Don't change anything that can't be easily undone. Strings, pins, and saddles are examples of easily-made (and often very effective) modifications.

Yeah, I'm going to play around a bit with strings. Any recommendations?

First - Congratulations on the purchased guitar, , , and your satori regarding the acoustic instrument after some 20 years. It's bound to be very interesting for you.

That's one good-looking and great-sounding guitar!

Not the tonal qualities I normally associate with the 'bird. But a firm hand and a big rosewood box bring out a different type of winged creature....

yeah it's a thing of beauty. I'm really just fine-tuning things now, trying to make it a little more personal to me. If it sounded the same as it does now for the rest of my days I'd die a happy man!

Archived