Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 reloaded

LongMan

Recently I purchased a Roland GR-55 guitar synth. Now that beast needs a guitar that is equipped with a special hex-pickup to get it to its full power. The pickup is shipped with GR-55, so the question was on which guitar I should mount it.

After some thoughts I decided for the ES-339, as this is my go-to and most played guitar. Here's a small picture story how I converted the ES-339 Pro P90 to a synth guitar. I've done some modifications to that guitar before, for example putting in Kloppmann SB-52 pickups, changing the control knobs, pickup switch tip and pickguard holder.

Original guitar:

MiOCcs.jpg

Here are the parts of the GK3 pickup that are shipped together with the GR-55 synth:

NPHQ70.jpg

Fortunately the GK3 comes with a special holder for TOM bridges. This thing is simply put on the original bridge posts, and the holes are wide enough for asian bridges. So no drilling, filing or grinding needed whatsoever.

Let's test how it fits:

dkCcTP.jpg

Perfect fit I would say. Now you have to lower the bridge posts by the thickness of the pickup holder - the original bridge will sit on top of the GK3 pickup holder.

Here's the bridge in place:

TV61aM.jpg

Now I did mount the GK remote. This part is fixed with the lower strap lock screw. The metal holder for the remote unit is covered with felt on the inside, so no scratches on the top will occur. I compensated the curvature of the top with a piece of rubber foam (included in the GK3 mounting kit).

Here's the GK remote mounted, it floats a fraction of a millimeter over the top of the ES-339:

DR7YGv.jpg

And a closeup of the GK pickup with strings on:

E8oke9.jpg

The GK3 pickup sits in the best possible position for an additional hex pickup: As close as possible to the bridge, and with 1mm distance from the strings.

Now here's the entire ES-339/GR-55 system, ready to rock:

JlkBgD.jpg

Thanks for your attention [wink]

Hi Longman,

that's a really neat installation, and excellent photographs I should add. You must let us know how it sounds.

And yes, there is something about a 339 in black. I have one too but mine's the Pro.

Nice job Longman.

I use Roland GK gear too (and Axon AX100 stuff) and you have made a good job of fitting the external kit.

Looks great. I am a big fan of mods that can easily be undone.

jv

Hi Longman,

that's a really neat installation, and excellent photographs I should add. You must let us know how it sounds.

And yes, there is something about a 339 in black. I have one too but mine's the Pro.

I'm looking to buy a Dot in black soon. Going to mod it up. [thumbup]

Nice job, LongMan. Tidy, good spacing, secure AND reversible. Love to know how it's working and the sounds it's now capable of. Does it track well? I've only previously seen this used on solid-bodies. It looks very well integrated with the 339 itself, the black is perfect for this application! [biggrin]

I own a 339 Pro and love it, I didn't expect that. It's just that good of a guitar. [cool]

For a while I played an old Tele with a GK divided pickup installed as a modification and used it with a VG88 synth. Eventually the magic went out of it and I got all the Roland stuff taken out and Lollar pickups put in. Two vintage teles and a vintage strat, I have never had an inclination to go back to synths and really am enjoying the tones from a new Epiphone 339. Enjoy though as it can be great fun.

Archived