Gibson Brands Forums

Standard vs. traditional

ramblnmn

Hello,

I was wondering about the differnces between the standard les Paul vs a traditional.

What I want to know is when playing either of the two is there a different feel between the two?

Can you feel a difference if any and if so what are they?

Hmm.. well it depends on what year the said Standard or Traditional were made in...

The 2015 models are very different beasts that we have all been used too.

Some years the Traditional was a full solid body guitar, some not...

The main differences between LPs are the neck shape and size and the type of pickups they have... Pre 2015 youd have two main types of neck which are 60s slim taper necks and 50s which are fatter....

So maybe if you want to be more specific in what years you are looking at we can give you a bit more detail..

But basically they are all made in the same place, in the same way and with similar woods and electronic components so in that way theres not much difference.. The best thing to do (if you can) is to just go out there and play as many as you can.. You will soon understand more about what you like and don't like.

The weight is a differance. The Traditional has NO weight relieve(10.5lbs.), the standard has the new modern weight relieve (8lbs).The neck on the Traditional is rounded and the standard has the sliim taper so that's the second differance in feel besides the weight. They both have the enhanced body arch. As for electronics, The pups in the traditional are the 59's and the standard has burstbuckers both have push/pull coil splits. Hope this helps...

If you are asking about the 2015 models then Scott has mentioned the only two differences in feel; namely the weight and the neck profile.

According to Gibson's own spec sheets the average Standard body weighs 0.5 lbs less than the average Traditional body (5.5 versus 6.0) so, as everything else on the guitars is to all intents identical, the average Standard should be around 0.5lbs lighter than the average Trad.

It's worth bearing in mind that mahogany body-blanks can vary greatly in weight from one to the other and it is quite likely that one could find a Standard which weighs the same as an average Trad and vice versa. With this in mind IMO by far the greatest difference in feel between the two models will be their respective necks...

Neck-profile is an odd thing; to some players it makes no difference yet to others it can mean some guitars are uncomfortable or even unplayable. It is essential IMO that you find out what you do - and do not - prefer.

The neck-profile of the Standard is the second slimmest out of the five profiles currently offered whereas that of the Trad is the thickest.

Happily neck-profiles, unlike body mass, vary far less from one instrument to another (of the same model-type) and once you know what you like you should find all instruments of that type will feel near-identical.

That's it.

No other differences in feel whatsoever.

Standard Specs;

http://www2.gibson.c...tandard-en.aspx

Trad Specs;

http://www2.gibson.c...raditional.aspx

Pip.

Thanks very much for this information which has very helpful.

I would imagine that a weight relief would be somewhat important for playing long periods.

Another concern would be the neck....is one wider than the other,if so then long fingers would be needed or is the difference between the sizes isn't,t that much

I guess actually holding each and feeling them would the best choice.

Your last sentence is right on the money.

No other way - and no amount of net-advice regardless of our good intent - will 'tell' you so much in such a straightforward way as simply trying them out for yourself.

As to the weight-relief; well, as was said earlier, some w-r'd Standards can actually be heavier than solid Trads. Not usually the case but it does happen.

In any event it pays to invest in a nice wide (say 3") suede-backed-or-otherwise-non-slip strap. This really makes a world of a difference. Trust me on this...

Neck widths are the same on these two models.

The 2015 necks are actually slightly wider than almost anything seen on a full-size Gibby electric since the late '60s although the difference is slight.

More that the neck width, however, IMX it's the depth front-to-back and the 'shoulder' which makes the biggest difference in terms of playing comfort and feel. Counter-intuitively, perhaps, a slightly thinner D-profile will probably feel chunkier in the hand than a slightly thicker C-profile, for example.

Another oddity is that some players with smaller hands/shorter fingers have said here that they find slightly more rounded necks more to their liking as the wand-slim necks can lead to hands cramping-up. Go Figure, as they say.

Which brings us back to getting out there and trying them out for yourself......

It might take you a while to find the ONE for you but LPs vary from one to the next and the chase should be both fun and, ultimately, successful.

Good Luck.

Pip.

The weight is a differance. The Traditional has NO weight relieve(10.5lbs.), the standard has the new modern weight relieve (8lbs).The neck on the Traditional is rounded and the standard has the sliim taper so that's the second differance in feel besides the weight. They both have the enhanced body arch. As for electronics, The pups in the traditional are the 59's and the standard has burstbuckers both have push/pull coil splits. Hope this helps...

Actually most Traditionals are weight relieved. The 2013's are not. The Traditional does not have push/pull coil splits. The Traditional PRO model has the coil splits, as does the Standard. I've never incountered a Traditional that weighed 10.5 pounds. Mine weighs 9.2 lbs. and came from the factory with '57's. Maybe the newest ones are different.

Actually most Traditionals are weight relieved. The 2013's are not. The Traditional does not have push/pull coil splits. The Traditional PRO model has the coil splits, as does the Standard. I've never incountered a Traditional that weighed 10.5 pounds. Mine weighs 9.2 lbs. and came from the factory with '57's. Maybe the newest ones are different.

2014/2015 models are the ones I was talking about...

You know you'll go crazy with the weight relief, neck profile, pick-ups, etc. You really have to play them as its so subjective. I haven't played any of the 2015s but I do think the 2013 and 2014 Traditionals simply appeal to a large group of players as do the Standards. The weight varies as I have seen the Traditionals range from 8.5 lbs to over 12 lbs. Then add feel, tone and appointments into the equation and its indicative very quickly of the subjectivity. I'm playing a 2014 not because I don't like the 2013 or the Standard, but because to me it just feels and sounds close to perfection. That said even with that particular model they vary in weight, appeal of flame tops [which in itself is subjective]. Pick-ups....[subjective] Weight....[subjective] Hardware traditional which the traditional is not and then compared to modern say Locking Tuners......[subjective]

You hate to turn it into relativism but it really is as you start with a traditional base in either case and then the rest really is subjective. Then ask yourself is the base even traditional of just "looks" traditional? Then you realize the only traditionals are neither Standard or Traditional. So it becomes another comparison. How different is the Standard vs the Traditional? Specs, tone etc.

No quick, fast answer imho. Its all personal to some degree? If you had all the cash in the world to chase LPs right down to Mike Bloomfields or whoever, its still to some degree personal. For example had Mike been with us today, its very likely he may find a 2014 LP in either CS, Standard and Traditional and it would become his favorite. I "doubt" he would play a 2015 but "I could be wrong about that". He may choose a CS exactly like his last because "thats the feel" I have no idea.

Archived