Gibson Brands Forums

Slow Blues Track

BluesKing777

I just recorded this slow blues on my 1944 Martin 0-17..... my acoustic/vocal version of T-Bone Walker's "Glamour Girl".

Of course I am talking about shiny guitars really, oh glamorous Princess of the house!!!

This one is like my wholemeal bourbon chocolate cake all wrapped in a little guitar! It is pretty cool!

Set up was great by whoever owned it last - same person that inscribed "W" or "M" on the side - I can use the whole real estate, except a slight dud note in the dusty area near the sound hole

(squarky noises are my thumb on the back of the neck - might need some oils)

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/glamourgirl777zz

BluesKing777.

I was browsing on spotify the other day, in the mood for some blues and basically what you do is what I was looking for.

Old style acoustic blues.

I know there's skip James and Mississippi John hurt and lightning and all the rest , but there's not much out there in your class recently. It's either to much histrionics or too much modern influence or someone with rubbish lyrics.

Kelly Joe Phelps is probably your only rival :)

I'm not blowing smoke , but sometimes a 'I really enjoyed that' doesn't cover it.

If that , and countless others you do, had been played on a radio show , I would be looking for the CD in the shop.

Just my cup of tea and how blues should be played in my little world.

Everyone else can go buy Joe bonamassa if they like , but I prefer your stuff.

I was browsing on spotify the other day, in the mood for some blues and basically what you do is what I was looking for.

Old style acoustic blues.

I know there's skip James and Mississippi John hurt and lightning and all the rest , but there's not much out there in your class recently. It's either to much histrionics or too much modern influence or someone with rubbish lyrics.

Kelly Joe Phelps is probably your only rival :)

I'm not blowing smoke , but sometimes a 'I really enjoyed that' doesn't cover it.

If that , and countless others you do, had been played on a radio show , I would be looking for the CD in the shop.

Just my cup of tea and how blues should be played in my little world.

Everyone else can go buy Joe bonamassa if they like , but I prefer your stuff.

Thanks BBG!

I guess it went over well, then!

I liked it or I wouldn't have posted it, but never sure if anyone else even listens! Fantastic!

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the great replies!

A small warning to the mahogany top guitar lovers before you spend your guitar fund on a vintage Martin 0-17 - it IS a truly great guitar, BUT it isn't very loud. If I played it after playing my L-0 for example, I would think someone turned the volume down from 10 to 6 1/2...... Of course it would be louder with a pick.

Apart from that small detail, it is a wonderful guitar!

Modern acoustic blues players..... While my main influence would be old players like Lightning, RJ, Lonnie J, the lead fills style comes from electric like Albert, T Bone and EC. Playing the leads on acoustic comes from mainly slide players.

Doing various lessons from Stefan Grossman and Homespun, I have come across some really great modern acoustic blues players starting with Stefan Grossman of course, Ernie Hawkins, John Miller, Steve James, Mike Dowling, Roy Bookbinder, Geoff Muldaur, Tom Feldman and some female blues players like Rory Block and Mary Flower. Doing his own thing label and publishing wise is the incredible Kenny Sultan, who can spell out the Lightning type leads for you without doing exact copies and the complications...... Lots of others to listen to, BBG - hope I haven't forgotten any big ones.

BluesKing777.

Archived